Oskaar makes mead, June 04, 2011 at Homebrew Provisions

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Oskaar makes mead, June 04, 2011 at Homebrew Provisions

Postby Oskaar » Sat May 28, 2011 8:44 am

Hello to all of you MoreBeer mead forum meaders!

I'll be doing a meadmaking seminar/demonstration in Fullerton, California on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at Addison Homebrew Provisions around noontime.

I'll be making a melomel (tentatively a tart cherry) using my own unique technique and explaining the process as I whip up the batch of mead. I'll also post the recipe here on GotMead in the Patron Section.

If you plan on coming out, bring a bottle of mead with you (or two. . . maybe three) and join the fun. If you have the fixins to make a batch of mead, bring them along as well and we'll have a group-grope orgy of meadmaking right there on the spot, and I can help you dial in your recipes and show you my way of making some great mead.

Here's the address and phone for the location:

1328 East Orangethorpe Ave
Fullerton, CA 92831

Trust me when I say my style is unique, half-science, half-intuition and half-technology, some fun and generally involves plenty of taste testing (of finished mead, and of course the must).

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Mead . . . it's what's for dinner!
Oskaar
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Re: Oskaar makes mead, June 04, 2011 at Homebrew Provisions

Postby tookalisten » Sun May 29, 2011 4:47 am

Wish I was closer! Recipe posting is appreciated; I have not made a mead in a while. That tart cherry sounds delicious.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Oskaar » Sun May 29, 2011 10:16 am

Hi there,

I'll post up a recipe this week sometime before the seminar.

Cheers!

Oskaar
Oskaar
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby shahzadkb » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 am

Congratulations Don! That is impressive!
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
shahzadkb
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby hoppster » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Be sure to post if you do another one of these demos, would love to attend!
hoppster
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby hwasone » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 am

Oskaar wrote:... in the Patron Section...

:roll:

can't say i haven't learned from GotMead. just sayin' i ain't payin'.
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Oskaar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm

hwasone wrote:

Your choice totally.

Note that we have had to cut back on the publicly viewable areas due to ridiculously high bot activity. We've left the newbee section and troubleshooting section open to the public. The rest of the site requires member registration. Patron memberships are also still available for premium content at $25 per year.

Any and all Patron Membership fees go directly to hosting, domain management, system services, backup services and continuity services. Vicky and I don't pocket any money from GotMead.Com, it's still a hobby site so we still go out of pocket for upgrades, new software, add-ons, etc. We are thankful and appreciative for the folks that support the site with Patron Memberships, background support and helpful posts for folks who are just getting started. Plus, it's the largest mead resource on the web with the best gang of mead-mentors and people who willingly donate their time and expertise to help you make better mead. It's totally worth supporting as a Patron for $25/year to keep the site online.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Oskaar
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby hwasone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Oskaar wrote:
hwasone wrote:

Your choice totally.

Note that we have had to cut back on the publicly viewable areas due to ridiculously high bot activity. We've left the newbee section and troubleshooting section open to the public. The rest of the site requires member registration. Patron memberships are also still available for premium content at $25 per year.

Any and all Patron Membership fees go directly to hosting, domain management, system services, backup services and continuity services. Vicky and I don't pocket any money from GotMead.Com, it's still a hobby site so we still go out of pocket for upgrades, new software, add-ons, etc. We are thankful and appreciative for the folks that support the site with Patron Memberships, background support and helpful posts for folks who are just getting started. Plus, it's the largest mead resource on the web with the best gang of mead-mentors and people who willingly donate their time and expertise to help you make better mead. It's totally worth supporting as a Patron for $25/year to keep the site online.

Cheers,

Oskaar

I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting a measured reasonable response. I don't make enough mead (rather, I don't have enough friends that like to drink it) to really make it worth my while at this point. Have you considered talking with suppliers to sell bulk honey, etc as a means of supporting it? Just curious. I think I would be more likely to use GotMead if the cost was folded into a physical product.

/post hijacking
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Oskaar » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey Jason,

Thank you for the suggestion. We do have some partnerships with honey vendors, homebrew stores and other folks. Problem is with the state of the economy and low dollars involved it's difficult to get them to do more than something like a 10% discount on goods or services and many times it's less than that. Vicky and I are actually working on a meadmaking book that would go with Patron Membership, but its slow going because of our involvement with the Mazer Cup International and the amount of time the planning and execution process takes out of our schedules every year. Not a complaint mind you. We've really made that competition into something special thanks to all the amazing folks that help with, and are associated with the event. This year we had over 520 entries from all over the world which is amazing for a mead only competition, and makes us the largest mead-only competition anwhere.

So, we continue to grow our Patron subscriptions at a slow rate. I think that there is a disconnect in the thought process because for some things it takes time for people to feel the tangible effects of their capital outlay for things that may be considered "esoteric." We see people that sign up gaining an immediate and tangible benefit from Patron memberships, in fact there are several Meaderies out there now that are doing very well as a result of their subscriptions to GotMead.Com, but the downside is that none of them want folks to know who they are so we have to keep that private.

Either way the site will go on. In an ideal world it would be nice for people to realize the value they're getting for about $2.08 a month, but in the world of the internet such value isn't always given due consideration.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Oskaar
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Return to Mead