How strong?

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How strong?

Postby rookie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 am

I have a couple of meads in the 17-18% range in the cooler aging. What's the strongest you've brewed.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Re: How strong?

Postby usmcruz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 am

This last mead thats still fermenting rings in at 15 or 16% A higher alc % will keep longer but youll also have to age it longer for it to mellow.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: How strong?

Postby rookie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:26 am

usmcruz wrote:This last mead thats still fermenting rings in at 15 or 16% A higher alc % will keep longer but youll also have to age it longer for it to mellow.

These are going to go to my 9 and 8 year old grandkids when they turn 21 so they'll have a lot of time to mellow. I don't plan to taste test either of them until they hit 10 years old.
Steve,
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Re: Re: How strong?

Postby usmcruz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

rookie wrote:
These are going to go to my 9 and 8 year old grandkids when they turn 21 so they'll have a lot of time to mellow. I don't plan to taste test either of them until they hit 10 years old.

Thats awesome but at 21 years old they cant appreciate all the work and patience in aging you put into that mead which theyll guzzle like a 4 loco :-)
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby hwasone » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:14 pm

usmcruz wrote:
rookie wrote:

Thats awesome but at 21 years old they cant appreciate all the work and patience in aging you put into that mead which theyll guzzle like a 4 loco :-)

that's why you gotta start their tasting training now!

"see, billy? this beer tastes bad because it has strong acetaldehyde from racking too soon"
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:04 pm

hwasone wrote:
usmcruz wrote:
rookie wrote:

that's why you gotta start their tasting training now!

"see, billy? this beer tastes bad because it has strong acetaldehyde from racking too soon"

I didn't rack too soon. what you talk?
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Primary:Wiezenbock
sec/bulk age:Bad Blood soured imperial stout
bottled:ABW, Hellhound Ale (BDS w/ horehound),Eddie's Haunted Porter
kegged:dark lager
ready to drink:Strawberry Chardonnay, Big '10, sour brown, Citra APA
Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby rookie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:32 am

usmcruz wrote:
rookie wrote:

They WILL know better than that by then.
Steve,
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby DV8Pilot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am

usmcruz wrote:
rookie wrote:

mmm... I think I've got a batch of "mead" that just needs some Kool-aid and it will be 4loco
-- Orion

I never said I was better than you; I said I was a Pilot, that IMPLIES it.
DV8Pilot
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:31 pm

DV8Pilot wrote:think I've got a batch of "mead" that just needs some Kool-aid and it will be 4loco

Dont forget the caffiene and taurine! :wink:
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Billy Klubb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 pm

usmcruz wrote:
DV8Pilot wrote:think I've got a batch of "mead" that just needs some Kool-aid and it will be 4loco

Dont forget the caffiene and taurine! :wink:

Ta Urine!!!!
There is a difference between Pride and Arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Primary:Wiezenbock
sec/bulk age:Bad Blood soured imperial stout
bottled:ABW, Hellhound Ale (BDS w/ horehound),Eddie's Haunted Porter
kegged:dark lager
ready to drink:Strawberry Chardonnay, Big '10, sour brown, Citra APA
Billy Klubb
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Mead