I'm new to mead.... sort of; and have some questions.

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

I'm new to mead.... sort of; and have some questions.

Postby meadsupporter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm new to mead.... sort of

I have recently purchased the Dry mead kit from more beer and I have followed the directions exactly [hydrated the yeast in Go-ferm, added the 1/2 pkg ferm-k and 1/2 pkg DAP, added the carbonate, and added the remaining DAP and ferm-k 3-4 days later]. I did use 1 vile of white labs sweet mead yeast and the frementation is over as I waited until most airlock bubbles are gone.

I have added the 3 campden tablets as suggested, however before I did that, a little liquid was left over from ther brew bucket; and it tasted really harsh and not really like a wine/mead at all.

I guess my question is did I do something wrong? Did I just taste it too soon?

Even though it was a dry mead kit the salesman said the sweetmead yeast should make it a little sweet but it did not really taste too sweet at all. However when I did smell it from the airlock it did start smelling real good after 4-5 days.

Am I just worrying too much about the taste and should just put it cold storage for 6 months or is something else at play here?
Last edited by meadsupporter on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadsupporter
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: I'm new to mead.... sort of and have some questions.

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Camden tablets are for removing chlorine from tap water, is that what you used them for?
You need to give the mead some time to mellow, not weeks, but months.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: I'm new to mead.... sort of; and have some questions.

Postby meadsupporter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 pm

turbo_ale: I did not use the campden tablets for that.

The directions claimed that after the fermentation is over to add 3 campden tablets to the mead to help prevent oxydatition and that is how I used them. However the taste I speaak of is before the adding of the tablets .
meadsupporter
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby thetooth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:28 pm

My guess would be that it will likely not be a very sweet mead if you only swapped out the yeast. It will likely be sweeter than if you have used the dry mead yeast, but it won't be as sweet as it would be if you used the sweet mead yeast and added enough honey to achieve the residual sugar desired.

Regarding the harshness: Definitely give it at least 6 months of storage before tasting it. Mead is almost always harsh when freshly fermented. Some age will do wonders for it. Additionally, if it just finished it's most active fermentation, there is likely CO2 still in suspension. That will also fool you into thinking it's harsher than it will be when it's completely flat.
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 am

Time is your friend.
I made a 9.5% braggot a few years ago that was very hot tasting at first. A year later it was devine.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Mead