good honey price

Fermented honey and all its varieties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: good honey price

Postby hwasone » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:59 pm

killpineapple wrote:
sciontroy wrote:I noticed that the address was a p.o. box on the site, I would like to see what there physical address is there you can purchase honey.....

Google Maps turned up: 125 E Laurel St, Colton, CA. north of the I-10. might call em tomorrow and see if i can pick up in person.

anyone know how the quality is on the wildflower? thinking about ordering some...
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby pprrado » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

hi well i just brewed my first mead about a month or some, OG was 1.090 use 2 packets of champagne yeast.
dap for nutrients and pure oxygen.
its now at 1.050 should i let it ferment or add more yeast? more oxygen?

and here in mexico i get 11 pounds for 10 bucks LOL, im thinkin in starting a brewery but a meadery is not a bad idea right?
------------
Jose
pprrado
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:26 pm

I went to the Gresham farmers market June 5. I bought 3 three pound jars of meadowfoam honey for $13 each, and 1 three pound jar of fireweed honey. It has gone up a bit in the past couple of years, but $4.33 for a pound of specialty honey is pretty good. The jar of fireweed was the only one they had and it was the first week of the season so I was lucky I got there right at opening time.
6 pounds of generic clover honey is around $11 at costco.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby hwasone » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:47 pm

sounds like a good source! not super cheap, but interesting honeys. fwiw, i'm pretty happy with the miller's honey purchase (bought a gallon of the wildflower...still fermenting)
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby rookie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 am

hwasone wrote:sounds like a good source! not super cheap, but interesting honeys. fwiw, i'm pretty happy with the miller's honey purchase (bought a gallon of the wildflower...still fermenting)

They have a fairly wide selection, the two I mentioned are my favorites and the ones I concentrate on getting a good supply of.
I think it's a pretty good price compared to a lot of sources that charge 6, 7 and 8 dollars a pound (plus shipping).
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby Beer Bar0n » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 am

There are a number of honey producers in Southern California - they are usually located in industrial areas, because they ship out the hives on trucks to wherever the crops are blooming - they provide pollination for the California almond crop in the Central Valley, for example. When they are filled with honey, they are trucked back to the factory for packaging. That is why the "local" honey comes from trucking hubs like Colton or Inglewood.
Beer Bar0n
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby MaltnHopsrGood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

killpineapple wrote:
sciontroy wrote:I noticed that the address was a p.o. box on the site, I would like to see what there physical address is there you can purchase honey.....

Google Maps turned up: 125 E Laurel St, Colton, CA. north of the I-10. might call em tomorrow and see if i can pick up in person.

Did you ever find out if you can pick this up in person? I'm thinking of making my first mead soon.
Bottled: Nothing
Keg #1: Dark Chocolate Stout
Keg #2: Bourbon Barrel Stout
Keg #3: Nothing
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Pale Ale
Next On Deck: India Pale Ale
Brewed in 2017: 50 gallons
MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Previous

Return to Mead