Anybody ever blow up a corny?

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Anybody ever blow up a corny?

Postby eCobbHeavy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 am

I've read that corny kegs are rated at something like 100psi. Also read that if you secondary in one, you should do a pressure release daily. Is this because the residual fermentation still generates this much gas, or is there another reason to do a release?
eCobbHeavy
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Anybody ever blow up a corny?

Postby MeadMeister » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:29 am

eCobbHeavy wrote:I've read that corny kegs are rated at something like 100psi. Also read that if you secondary in one, you should do a pressure release daily. Is this because the residual fermentation still generates this much gas, or is there another reason to do a release?

I doubt you'd have an explosion issue. I'm no expert but I think the pressure should inhibit the yeast well before you build up 100 psi.
Secondary: Mango melomel

Kegged:
Witbier
Mild Brown

Bottled:
Oatmeal Stout
Ghetto hard cider
MeadMeister
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby MeadMeister » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:36 am

Check out those crazy pictures if there's any lingering doubt, or just because keg fountains are cool. :)
Secondary: Mango melomel

Kegged:
Witbier
Mild Brown

Bottled:
Oatmeal Stout
Ghetto hard cider
MeadMeister
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:22 am

MeadMeister wrote:I doubt you'd have an explosion issue. I'm no expert but I think the pressure should inhibit the yeast well before you build up 100 psi.

This is correct...yeast are inhibited by high CO2 content.

I'd be interesting to see if a corny could take 100psi without the seals failing or it leaking from one of the posts, etc. But I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when it did. :shock: Maybe the Myth Busters could do it if they're really desperate for show material. :P
[NOT A MODERATOR]
Keith

Postby Backglass » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:22 am

eCobbHeavy wrote:Also read that if you secondary in one, you should do a pressure release daily. Is this because the residual fermentation still generates this much gas, or is there another reason to do a release?

I do it for the first few days to purge what little O2 might be in the headspace.
Barry - NY

"A brewer is YOU!"

--------

On Tap: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Gnome Rootbeer, Hard Lemonade, Schwartzbier
Conditioning: Rogue I2PA
Fermenting: ---
Starter: ---
Backglass
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Predeterminator » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:26 am

Max WORKING pressure of a corny keg (should be plainly labeled on outside of keg body) is 130 psig. Assuming your pressure safety valve located on the lid is working properly, a corny keg should never "catastrophically" fail i.e. blow up. Even if your PSV is not working properly there is typically a safety factor ratio (working pressure versus burst pressure) with pressure vessel ratings, what this is for corny kegs I don't know. The plastic threads on the PSV would probably be the first thing to fail. Pressure rated hoses typically have a safety factor of 2.5:1 up to 5:1. Example: five times rated max pressure (at rated temperature) equals burst pressure.
Last edited by Predeterminator on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have questions that need to be answered, and answers that need to be questioned"
Predeterminator
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Roger456 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:57 am

Chris White at White Labs has said that yeast will work up to 25psi, at which point the CO2 saturation becomes toxic. I doubt you will get that much pressure built up during secondary fermentation, during which time little actual fermentation takes place unless you are adding more fermentables.
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby JP » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:06 am

But even levels of 2-3 PSI have an affect on yeast health.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby Roger456 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 am

I believe it, JP. My point is that you aren't likely to reach exploding keg pressure levels brewing beer.
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:20 am

If you want to blow up a corny some oxyacetylene and a firecracker stuck in the dip tube would do the trick.....
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby eCobbHeavy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:33 am

So if you transfer from primary to corny, inject a little CO2 to chase the O2 from the headspace, and let her sit to condition, worse case is that any pressure that may build from residual fermentation will eventually stop by itself due to lack of fermentables or from excess pressure.

What's left should be nicely naturally carbonated beer; right? Why burp the PRV then?
eCobbHeavy
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Roger456 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:01 am

My opinion is that racking to secondary should be done when fermentation is complete. In my experience, racking before then doesn't let the yeast really finish the job-- incomplete fermentation, residual undesirable fermentation byproducts like diacetyl, etc.

Again, unless you are adding more fermentables, there wouldn't be enough fermentation to carbonate the beer, and fermentation wouldn't stop due to excess CO2 because fermentation is esentially over by this time. And, you ought not need to burp the keg.

As for the acetylene keg, I refer you to this [url=http://denver.yourhub.com/Story.aspx?contentid=51192]story about a near Darwin Award candidate....
[/url]
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Stone » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:50 pm

If you want to blow up a corny some oxyacetylene and a firecracker stuck in the dip tube would do the trick.....

Many 4th of July's ago (in my not so smart days) my friend made a stand to hold ballons filled with oxyacetylene that he would blow up using a bottle rocket. Better than any illegal firework you could buy from the indian reservation. :twisted: you can also try straping a 1/4 stick to 3 cans of WD40 if you like fire balls, not that I would know :D

stone

EDIT: PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDDIES!
Stone
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Brewing Equipment