Radioshack rare earth magnets

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Radioshack rare earth magnets

Postby sacredtheory » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:00 pm

I just finished my homemade stir plate, and I'm relatively please with the results. I got all of the parts from Radio Crap except for the stir bar: the project box, on/off toggle switch, rheostat, etc.

The only rare earth magnets they had were freaking tiny (1/8" diameter). They're about the size of the round cutout from a hole puncher that's used for paper...maybe even a little smaller. Anyway, if I put the stir bar right on the box, it spins. But when I stick it in the flask and put the flask on the box, it doesn't spin at all. I think I need stronger magnets...maybe these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280091307427&rd=1&rd=1

Any thoughts?
Jared

Alright brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so just get me through this exam so I can go back to killing you slowly with beer. -- Homer Simpson
sacredtheory
Keg (750 posts)

Postby erik » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:35 pm

get an old hard disk drive and open it up for the magnets. You should be able to get a old small one for dirt cheap or free...

Be sure to wash your hands after because the oil is caustic
erik
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby sacredtheory » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:23 am

From reading other posts about how much of a pain in the arse it is to tear them apart, and how the magnets can break in the process, and the caustic oil (which I didn't know about), I thought it might be easier to buy a set of 4 for $2.00. I was just wondering if anyone had success with that style/size of magnet.
Jared

Alright brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so just get me through this exam so I can go back to killing you slowly with beer. -- Homer Simpson
sacredtheory
Keg (750 posts)

Postby hotrod38 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:48 am

I found rare earth magnets at woodcraft supply I bought the 1/4" size.
hotrod38
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby the4th » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:35 am

erik wrote:Be sure to wash your hands after because the oil is caustic

There is no caustic oil in hard drives. I've taken apart thousands of them. 550 over the course of 2 months due to a recall. No warning labels, no MSDS sheets, nothing.

I worked at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. None of our hard drives could leave campus after being used to access patient data. When doing a warranty claim on the drive, I had to order the new drive, wait until I received it, swap it out for the defective drive, take the top plate and circuit board off the defective drive to send back along w/ a form stating that under HIPAA guidlines we couldn't release the platters.

Everyone in our building had spare HD magnets on their file cabinets, stacked up 3-4 inches high on their desk, stuck to "dorm room" fridges, I had to quit bringing them home because the kids kept pinching their fingers with them.
I got a fever.... and the only prescription is more cowbell.
the4th
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby MuddyMikes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:06 am

I must have gotten lucky because I was able to buy off of eBay a used Corning stir plate for dirt cheap. I think I paid $20, plus shipping.

Sounds like you're making multiple trips to Radio Shack and haveing to scrounge up piece parts to make this happen. I feel for ya.....
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby sacredtheory » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:28 am

MuddyMikes wrote:Sounds like you're making multiple trips to Radio Shack and haveing to scrounge up piece parts to make this happen. I feel for ya.....

Actually, I made one trip. Now making my spigot for my mash tun from parts from Lowe's is a differenty story. I must have made 5 or 6 trips there...a huge pain in the arse. But it's still somewhat rewarding, and cheaper, to make something yourself. I was surprised to find Michael's (a local craft store) had rare earth magnets. I got four for $2, and now it's completed and it works great.

All together I spent about $15, and I had fun making it too. I'm actually contemplating making another one (I have two flasks).
Jared

sacredtheory
Keg (750 posts)

Postby MuddyMikes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 am

I'm all for DIY projects. Great satisfaction in knowing that what you have is what you built. Like I said, when I was looking into stir plates I got lucky and found the cheap one on eBay and it's served me well.

I feel ya on the plumbing thing. I try to avoid test fitting things at HD. I hate opening those small packages in an effort to see if what I think will work, or mate up actually does. I hate getting home only finding out I have the wrong part.
Last edited by MuddyMikes on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

MuddyMikes

Postby Monster Mash » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:11 am

MuddyMikes wrote:I must have gotten lucky because I was able to buy off of eBay a used Corning stir plate for dirt cheap. I think I paid $20, plus shipping.

Sounds like you're making multiple trips to Radio Shack and haveing to scrounge up piece parts to make this happen. I feel for ya.....

Building something yourself often takes time and effort but when it's finished and it works all of that time and effort gets paid off. Sure you can buy a beat up 20 year old stir plate off of ebay but there is no satisfaction in that...
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby MuddyMikes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 am

MuddyMikes wrote:I'm all for DIY projects. Great satisfaction in know that what you have is what you built. Like I said, when I was looking into stir plates I got lucky and found the cheap one on eBay and it's served me well.

Wort Hog

You must have missed this part....
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

MuddyMikes

Postby webmar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:49 am

fossilsrocks wrote:[url=http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/MAG-80/370/NEODYMIUM-35_MAGNET,_.375%22#34;D_X_.2"#34;_.html]These[/url] work really well.

Scott

Those are the ones I just bought. They haven't come in the mail yet but they should work well.
webmar
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Re: Radioshack rare earth magnets

Postby rasha » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:35 am

THINKS FOR SHEARING INFORMATION
rasha
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Brewing Equipment