Brewtroller or BC-460

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Brewtroller or BC-460

Postby BrewBum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 am

So I am just bored and looking at all of these brewery system control options becoming more and more available and I am loving what I am seeing.

If you haven't looked at Brewtroller or the BCS-460 you need to check them out.

If you have, what can you find of the pros and cons of each?

The brewtroller looks more robust but also more complex to set up, might be more expensive too. It appears you could get away with an almost fully automated setup for around $500 as just a guess, less if you just start out using it as a monitoring system.

Check them out and see what you think.

http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... ystem.html

http://www.brewtroller.com/wiki/doku.php?id=start
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Re: Brewtroller or BC-460

Postby Monster Mash » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:20 am

I'm all for automation but I still believe in the K.I.S.S. method. I don't see myself needing to adjust the temp of my strike water via my smart phone....

This is what I paid for my controller..

2 Love Controllers......... $100

Various relays, switches, power supplies.... $80.00
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:55 am

I hear you Craig but with these setups you could literally control your entire operation from a laptop.

I would like to have one place to control fermentation temps, serving temps, and brewing temps. I don't think i want full push button automation but that could be done too, even down to the grain mill and everything. That is a little much though.

I have a love controller and probably should figure it out or sell it.

I now have all my equipment to build the stand.

I am looking to use a system like this to control the HLT and pump at first and monitor the mash tun and boil kettle. I think it would be pretty cool to be sitting in my living room after I poured the grain in the mash tun and filled the HLT to control the brewing process from inside. Heck the brewtroller can monitor and control water volumes, that is nuts. If set up you could do the whole process from work, I don't want it that far gone but that is pretty cool.

Just curious if any here had set one up. This would work the best with an electric system but I can't build one of those at my house because my panel isn't big enough.

I don't know, just dreaming I guess.
Nate
BrewBum

Postby Monster Mash » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:24 am

You can do it pretty cheap with NG or low pressure propane if you scab igniters out of old home furnaces. They aren't as safe as using electricity for auto start up but they work great for maintaining temps.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby MyloFiore » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:15 am

BrewBum wrote:I hear you Craig but with these setups you could literally control your entire operation from a laptop.

I would like to have one place to control fermentation temps, serving temps, and brewing temps. I don't think i want full push button automation but that could be done too, even down to the grain mill and everything. That is a little much though.

I have a love controller and probably should figure it out or sell it.

I now have all my equipment to build the stand.

I am looking to use a system like this to control the HLT and pump at first and monitor the mash tun and boil kettle. I think it would be pretty cool to be sitting in my living room after I poured the grain in the mash tun and filled the HLT to control the brewing process from inside. Heck the brewtroller can monitor and control water volumes, that is nuts. If set up you could do the whole process from work, I don't want it that far gone but that is pretty cool.

Just curious if any here had set one up. This would work the best with an electric system but I can't build one of those at my house because my panel isn't big enough.

I don't know, just dreaming I guess.

Hey, BrewBum. Great to see another BNer discover the BrewTroller. I have been using mine for about 6 months now and I really like it. It makes life (and, well, step mashing) a lot easier. My brewery wakes up before me and gets my strike water up to temp. When I wake up, I just dough in and go back inside for coffee and breakfast. It controls the entire mash, so I can just go out 1.5 hour later and start the sparge. Since I have installed it, I have been doing a mashout religiously - which has increased my repeatibility and perhaps a few points from lautering efficiency.

There are those that have done more with automated valves and hopdroppers, etc. - but you really don't need to do much to achieve the ease and repeatibility of my mashing regime.

If you have any questions as you consider what or how much to automate, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions. I am a pretty active member of that community, and post daily over there.

Brew Strong!

Mylo
MyloFiore
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks Mylo, I saw that you were a big contributor over there. Thanks for the help in the future when I set down and make the decision.
Nate
BrewBum

Postby BrewBum » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Mylo, if I ever pull the trigger on this thing I will need your help in wiring it and picking the right things out. I can't make heads or tails of the wiring diagrams and such.

Luckily all I want my to do is monitor temps and run the pump for the time being. I think eventually I could have it run a solenoid on the HLT with a HERMS type system but that would be the max I would use it for.

The wiring of the temp probes has me utterly confused though and that is the most basic part of the system.

I do like the computer interface and it looks like it will do more then just logging data correct?
Nate
BrewBum

Postby Jlen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm super new to all this - bar a few extract brews, but i'm getting me a herms set up. I want repeatability!

I've alos been looking at the Brewtroll as a cheap(er) way of controlling my temps.

I guess it runs like any other control panel right? I know nothing of electrical wiring... Am i being foolish? Is it as accurate as the usual PID's? Is this considered a PID?!

I just want to be able to get quite techy and be able to monitor and record each stage very accurately so that i can study what the hell is going on!

Is this the way forward?

Thanks for your knowledge guys,

Glen.
Jlen
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Roc-Craven » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:43 pm

We run our 4bbl brewhouse on the bcs-462. It's nice to be able to see all the fermenters and the brite tank anytime I want. Can also turn the system on at 2am so I'm ready to mash in when I get there at 5am.
Jon Sheldon
Owner/Brewer
Bugnutty Brewing Company

Those who can, do. Those who cant, Hire someone else to do and then take credit for it. -- Jon Sheldon
Roc-Craven
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby stevenyuko » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm not sure if you guys are aware. Brewtroller has new ownership now with a great development team backing it up. New owners = new ideas. Check out the Kickstarter for it. It's not been available to buy for a while now but a successful Kickstart campaign will bring it alive with new support. [url][/url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2085635565/brewtroller[/url]
stevenyuko
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:50 am

stevenyuko wrote:I'm not sure if you guys are aware. Brewtroller has new ownership now with a great development team backing it up. New owners = new ideas. Check out the Kickstarter for it. It's not been available to buy for a while now but a successful Kickstart campaign will bring it alive with new support. [url][/url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2085635565/brewtroller[/url]

Too bad I went with the BCS-460 because it was the only thing really out there that came in a pre-built control panel.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby hnoor0066 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 am

Is it as accurate as the usual PID's? Is this considered a PID?????
hnoor0066
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:59 am

hnoor0066 wrote:Is it as accurate as the usual PID's? Is this considered a PID?????

it has 4 output in the device that act just like a PID. been very happy with my purchase.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Brewing Equipment