Mini / Compact Fridge for 7gal Conical

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mini / Compact Fridge for 7gal Conical

Postby mrkrispy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am

I have been trying to find a small fridge for my old-skool 7gal conical, I only see the Sanyo 4912M mentioned here and those are getting hard to find new or used. I saw a Danby DAR440BL (DAR440W also) that seems to have similar interior dimensions (and is freezerless) as the Sanyo but I am not sure about the hump getting in the way of the conical legs.

Does anyone here use these for a 7gal conical?

The Danby is sold at Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Danby-DAR440W-4-4 ... B000FAUSUC
mrkrispy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Mini / Compact Fridge for 7gal Conical

Postby BeerPal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:55 am

What are the interior dimensions? I used to use the Sanyo 4912 (4.9 cf) and it was barely tall enough inside to fit my B3 7-gallon conical. Plus, I had to remove the door panel (replaced it with white board) to get it to fit. I suspect a 4.4 cf fridge might be a tad on the small size.

"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mrkrispy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I am trying to find the exact dimensions, not having a lot of luck so far which is why I posted this ;)

Why did you stop using the Sanyo 4912? That is likely what I will have to go with.
mrkrispy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I have a old school Imperial wine cooler, WCSH7, 12" floor space, 26.5" inside height. My other wine cooler is a newer SoleusAir, with a glass door, it has a 11" floor space.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:56 pm

mrkrispy wrote:Why did you stop using the Sanyo 4912? That is likely what I will have to go with.

Went with a dedicated upright freezer. My new-style retrofit domed conical lid required more height than the Sanyo offered.

"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 am

BeerPal wrote:Went with a dedicated upright freezer. My new-style retrofit domed conical lid required more height than the Sanyo offered.

Now you need to get a 14 gallon conical :wink: to fill the dead space of the fridge.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby BeerPal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:32 pm

turbo_ale wrote:
BeerPal wrote:Went with a dedicated upright freezer. My new-style retrofit domed conical lid required more height than the Sanyo offered.

Now you need to get a 14 gallon conical :wink: to fill the dead space of the fridge.

+1
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 am

I need one big enough for a 30bbl conical....
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby cvedrick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Last year, when I was looking for my kegerator freezer, I kept running into 14CF UPRIGHT freezers in the $50-75 range and durned new condition. Add a temp controller and you should be good to go....
cvedrick
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby fortike » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I have a Haier compact fridge to store my beers and drinks.It is quiet and you won't hear it.I recommend these reviews about it,click here to read.Hope useful for you.
fortike
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby mrkrispy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Hey just to update for anyone looking to do something similar....it took me almost a year but I found a Sanyo 4912M on craigslist for a good price. My setup is almost identical to BeerPal's photo at the top, except my fridge has a black plastic interior. I shamelessly copied him and installed a DIY whiteboard in the door, that was the hardest part of the whole thing.

My conical is really tight, I could stand to saw off an inch from each leg. I can't cinch down the acrylic lid on my old school conical, instead I used a couple of C-clamps. It wasn't sealed good enough to get the airlock to work, but visually I could see the krausen drop. I will look into an alternate screw for the steel crossbar since the stock one is too tall for the setup.
mrkrispy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby mrkrispy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 pm

BeerPal wrote:What are the interior dimensions? I used to use the Sanyo 4912 (4.9 cf) and it was barely tall enough inside to fit my B3 7-gallon conical. Plus, I had to remove the door panel (replaced it with white board) to get it to fit. I suspect a 4.4 cf fridge might be a tad on the small size.

Beerpal, how did you tighten down the lid when you ran the conical in the Sanyo 4912?
I am wondering if there is a replacement bold I could find to tighten down the crossbar in that tight space
mrkrispy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Eric Ennis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Has anyone tried this with the current conical? I really want a heated and cooled one but the "conical in a mini fridge" is a little more affordable.
On Tap
American Amber
Oatmeal Stout

Next up
Brown Ale
Daily Double IPA
Coloma Golden Ale
Honey Porter
ESB
Eric Ennis
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:02 am

Eric Ennis wrote:Has anyone tried this with the current conical? I really want a heated and cooled one but the "conical in a mini fridge" is a little more affordable.

I have a current version 27 gallon morebeer conical in an upright freezer with a dual gauge temp control on it that I put together for approx. the same cost as B3's heated/cooled 7.5 gallon conical.
Pete
pclemon

Postby mrkrispy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 am

mrkrispy wrote:Beerpal, how did you tighten down the lid when you ran the conical in the Sanyo 4912?
I am wondering if there is a replacement bold I could find to tighten down the crossbar in that tight space

I will answer this myself...I just went to HomeDepot and scrounged around the nuts and bolts isle. I was able to find a stainless steel hex-head bolt that fits the cross bar. I bought a 3/8"-16 bolt x 2.5" and it works perfect, but I need a wrench to tighten the bolt/crossbar down to the acrylic lid.
mrkrispy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment