PH Meter readings when acidifying

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PH Meter readings when acidifying

Postby diver » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:40 am

Whenever I take a Ph reading after acidifying water with lactic or phosphoric acid it takes forever to get a stable reading if I get one at all. I have a Hannah pHep and the stability indicator will go off and on while the Ph reading keeps changing. It could be the probe but I always get a quick stable reading of cooled wort and it calibrates just fine. Anyone else notice this?
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Re: PH Meter readings when acidifying

Postby Denny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 am

Are you cooling the sample? pH should be read at room temp.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby diver » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 am

Yea, the water I acidify is always room temp before I heat it up. Cooled wort samples I never have a problem with, only room temp water that I acidify never seems to get a stable reading.
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby NonHopHead » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:20 am

Did you calibrate using an acidic standard solution? If the calibration range was significantly more basic than the pH you are trying to measure, that may account for the instability. Also, if the pH is extreme enough it can sometimes take a while to reach a stable reading, which is inconvenient but no big deal (I don't have a Hannah, but my laboratory pH meters at work have always displayed this behavior). While it is always possible your probe is faulty, I'm sure your wallet wants to exhaust all options before replacing it!
NonHopHead
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby diver » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 am

I calibrated it with the 4 and 7 solution. My water PH is around 7.4 and I'm only acidifying water to about 5.5 to 6.
My probe is almost 3 years old but this has been going on for a long time when acidifying water. I thought maybe the acid wasn't dissolved in the water enough causing the readings to fluctuate and tried stirring with a drill and new paint mixer.
I already ordered a new Hanna 98128. For $74 and free shipping it's not much more than a new probe.
Thanks
diver
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby rose61 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:22 am

Cooled wort samples I never have a problem with, only room temp water...

Return to Brewing Equipment