Speidel Plastic Fermenting Tanks - Plastic Taste?

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Speidel Plastic Fermenting Tanks - Plastic Taste?

Postby ranord » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:15 am

I have to ask this question even though I doubt this is the problem.

I recently started fermenting in the Speidel Plastic Fermenting Tanks. The first fermentation from my first tank I kegged and the first taste from the keg had a distinct plastic taste. I bought a second tank and I just tasted what I believe was the first batch out of that tank that I had bottled and that has a plastic taste as well. A second fermentation in the first tank did not generate the plastic taste.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

Roger
ranord
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Speidel Plastic Fermenting Tanks - Plastic Taste?

Postby turbo_ale » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:23 pm

When I was fermenting in plastic buckets I would wash the bucket with PBW, rinse good, then Star-San, no plastic issues with my beers.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 pm

I have not seen that in my use; but I too use PBW to clean, rinse, then StarSan to sanitize prior to next batch going in.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: JZ's WCB, RIS
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:02 pm

While I don't have a Speidel, I have noticed this with regular buckets and PET carboys on first use. After that I did the same as the others when I get anything new that is plastic... PBW soak for about 30 minutes, followed by a thorough clean rinse and then StarSan.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby ranord » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:43 am

I too use PBW and Star San. I haven't fermented in plastic since my first brew or two a few years ago. Hopefully this is a one time occurrence. I'll find out soon as the batch I brewed yesterday will go into the second fermenter I bought which will be its second fermentation.
ranord
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby brewer_b » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 am

I've brewed plenty of batches in plastic buckets without any issues. I just bought one of these Speidel fermenters and for the first batch I cleaned with soap and water, then PBW with 10min soak, rinsed thoroughly and then a Starsan soak for about 30 mins during whirlpool and chilling. My first beer out of it had a distinct plastic like aftertaste that was a bit sweet. did your subsequent batches get better? I'm concerned about fermenting another batch in this thing...
brewer_b
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:43 pm

brewer_b wrote:I've brewed plenty of batches in plastic buckets without any issues. I just bought one of these Speidel fermenters and for the first batch I cleaned with soap and water, then PBW with 10min soak, rinsed thoroughly and then a Starsan soak for about 30 mins during whirlpool and chilling. My first beer out of it had a distinct plastic like aftertaste that was a bit sweet. did your subsequent batches get better? I'm concerned about fermenting another batch in this thing...

I own four of vaious sizes never had a plastic aftertaste.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby MullerBrau » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 am

I use the big plastic 14.5 gallon Curtec fermenters and have never encountered this.
MullerBrau
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Brewing Equipment