Tri-clamp Clamp Sanitizing Needed?

General brewery equipment discussions.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tri-clamp Clamp Sanitizing Needed?

Postby boogie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:04 am

I have always taken the time to clean and sanitize my clamps. As long as all of my other equipment is clean and sanitized (fittings, gaskets, etc.), is it important that my clamps be sanitized? I of course scrub them after each use with PBW, but sanitizing them seems unnecessary since they don't come into direct contact with the liquid. Thoughts?
boogie
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Tri-clamp Clamp Sanitizing Needed?

Postby Brewtime » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:05 am

boogie wrote:I have always taken the time to clean and sanitize my clamps. As long as all of my other equipment is clean and sanitized (fittings, gaskets, etc.), is it important that my clamps be sanitized? I of course scrub them after each use with PBW, but sanitizing them seems unnecessary since they don't come into direct contact with the liquid. Thoughts?

I never sanitize them
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:48 pm

I've always got a big pot of Star San on the floor of the brewery (garage) so when I take one off I toss it in. Not that they need it, it is just there; and I figure can't hurt to get the grain dust, finger prints, sticky whatever off.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby boogie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Sounds good. I won't concern myself about them being sanitized as long as they're clean. Thanks for the feedback.
boogie
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Brewing Equipment