First timer growing hops looking for design ideas

Discussion about the grains, extracts, yeasts, water, hops, etc. used in beer.

Moderator: Moderator Team

First timer growing hops looking for design ideas

Postby snarf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:43 pm

This will be my first foray into growing hops, I've done my research and I think I have a pretty good plan, but I'm looking for some of the intangibles, the little tricks of the trade you guys have learned that help you out.

My chosen spot is a SE facing pasture up against a barn wall. My thought was to run a cable the length of the barn wall so I have something to attach the climbing ropes to and then run those down at an angle to a stake in the ground. Since the barn is right there it has the added benefit of allowing me to run drip irrigation to my hops so I don't have to manually water them. So I have good sun, great soil (gonna test the pH this week first though), and a dedicated water source, what else should I be thinking as I put this together? Thanks guys.
snarf
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: First timer growing hops looking for design ideas

Postby tookalisten » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:50 am

Sounds like you have a great plan.

I only grew hops for a few years; but the main ingredients that worked for me = sun, water, great soil as hops are heavy feeders. Also, I had to constantly clip new shoots that came up to keep from being overwhelmed with new "hop vines" reaching for the sun.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Brewing Ingredients