Yeast Washing Issues

Discussion about the grains, extracts, yeasts, water, hops, etc. used in beer.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Yeast Washing Issues

Postby Malt_Man_John » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 am

I tried yeast washing for the first time last week. Let the yeast, trub and water settle out in a large jar in fridge. Next day decanted into sanitized jars, leaving trub behind. When I went to make a starter I assumed whatever had settle out in the new jars was more trub, so I used only the top portion, leaving the settled out part behind. Now I'm questioning that decision. Since yeast doesn't stay in suspension indefinitely, perhaps what I left behind was not so much remaining trub, but perfectly good yeast that had simply flocculated out. The starter itself was active immediately, is still bubbling two days later, but the yeast looks looser and grainier than I'm used to seeing. IOW, I'm wondering if by decanting only the top portion into the starter flask, I may have ended up with the less flocculant spectrum of the yeast. Perhaps I should have used the bottom portion as well, instead of assuming it was trub.

What do you think?
Malt_Man_John
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Yeast Washing Issues

Postby Denny » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:18 am

It's possible. I gave up yeast washing years ago because I found it to be a PITA with no payback. My beers didn't get better by rinsing yeast, and I decided it was just one more thing I could potentially screw up.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:45 am

Denny wrote:It's possible. I gave up yeast washing years ago because I found it to be a PITA with no payback. My beers didn't get better by rinsing yeast, and I decided it was just one more thing I could potentially screw up.

I am a lazy brewer its easier just to buy new yeast.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Denny » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Brewtime wrote:
Denny wrote:It's possible. I gave up yeast washing years ago because I found it to be a PITA with no payback. My beers didn't get better by rinsing yeast, and I decided it was just one more thing I could potentially screw up.

I am a lazy brewer its easier just to buy new yeast.

It's pretty easy to just save the slurry in sanitized containers. That way I don't have to make a starter like I would for fresh yeast.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Malt_Man_John » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Problem is the brew shops around here are phasing out WYeast. Takes up too much room I guess. Maybe they should revise their packaging. WL did, by switching to small pouches from the vials.
Malt_Man_John
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Malt_Man_John » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:27 pm

I just discovered what the problem was. Too little yeast for the 1 liter starter. It's hard to know how much yeast there is in those jars. Now that it's been a little more than 48 hours it's looking better. Probably be able to use it tomorrow.
Malt_Man_John
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Brewing Ingredients