Substitute for Munich LME

Discussion about the grains, extracts, yeasts, water, hops, etc. used in beer.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby mbernhardt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:18 pm

In Jamil/Jon's recipe book, there are a number of Belgian and German recipes which use a mix of Pilsner and Munich LME. But More Beer doesn't sell Munich LME. They sell Light, Amber, and Dark DME, and liquid "Light Malt Extract." I know that the Oak Barrel in Berkeley sells Munich LME, but I'd like to keep my life simple if possible.

Can someone tell me a good substitute?
mbernhardt
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Substitute for Munich LME

Postby majorvices » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Not going to be a sub for Munich. The malt is made very specifically and has a certain characteristic. Amber is most likely not going to be made with any munich. My suggestion, mail order it from someplace that carries it. Or better yet, switch to all grain and just buy Munich malt.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mbernhardt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:20 pm

OK, thanks. I'll just make a trip into Berkeley and get it there. Sorry, More Beer!
mbernhardt
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 am

Northern Brewer carries Munich LME.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Conroe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Briess Amber does have some Munich in it. NB has the Briess Munich LME that's half 2-row. Williams has some that is half and half German Munich and Pils. That book calls for 100% Munich extract and that is very hard to find. You'll have to adjust the recipe accordingly.
Conroe
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Conroe wrote: That book calls for 100% Munich extract and that is very hard to find. You'll have to adjust the recipe accordingly.

Not pushing a specific vendor here - but NB does have Munich extract.
Pete
pclemon

Postby mbernhardt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm checking with Oak Barrel in Berkeley, CA on the makeup of their so-called Munich LME. They are local to me so I can just drive there. If it's a mix of Munich and Pils, it's easy to adjust since the recipes I've seen call for both anyway. If it's 100%, so much the better.

Thanks for the suggestions and info about blends!
mbernhardt
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby majorvices » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:53 am

Conroe wrote:Briess Amber does have some Munich in it..

"Some" being the stumbling block here for me. If I am brewing a beer that uses Munich malt I don;t want "some" of that munich to be subbed out by "victory", "crystal 40" and/or 2-row.

Also, if it were up to me I would find a 100% German Munich extract. I would try and avoid any Munich from Briess.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mbernhardt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

Well, Oak Barrel sells a 50% blend with the other half 2-row. I've just emailed Jamil about what he actually uses when he calls out Munich, and where he gets it. I'll post the answer when I have it.
mbernhardt
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 am

mbernhardt wrote:Well, Oak Barrel sells a 50% blend with the other half 2-row. I've just emailed Jamil about what he actually uses when he calls out Munich, and where he gets it. I'll post the answer when I have it.

Should be easy enough to figure out - look at the all-grain option and see if it corresponds to a similar amount of LME. If the all grain recipe calls for 2# of Munich Malt the extract recipe would be in the 1.4# range.
Pete
pclemon

Postby mbernhardt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:12 pm

Here's what Jamil said:
> Munich extracts vary from 30% up to 100%. I specify 100% Munich LME in
> my recipes so you will know how much of your blend to use for your
> brew. When using a blend, use enough that the percentage of munich in
> it matches the original amount needed. The percentage of the blend
> that is base malt, you just subtract from your base malt requirement.
>
> If you want to use 100% Munich extract, the only current supplier I am
> aware of is Weyermann.
mbernhardt
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby majorvices » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Just brew all grain and buy your grain in bulk. Have 100% control of the ingredients you put in your beer. Save a TON of money* and brew better beer. Problem solved. :wink:

*extract is way too expensive - holy crap you are better off buying beer
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby mbernhardt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Well yeah, but first I have to buy hundreds of $$$ of equipment I don't currently have : ^{
I don't even do full boil yet, though I'm sure I'll be upgrading to that this year.

In the case of the Dubbel I was looking at, he calls for 8 lbs of pilsner LME and 1 lb of 100% Munich. so using a 50% blend, I end up with 7 lb of pilsner, 1 lb of Munich and 1 lb of 2-row. When I asked him about difference in taste using a blend with 2-row, he responded that the most important thing is going to be good fermentation, and that regardless of whether the base has some 2-row in it, it will still be delicious.
mbernhardt
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby majorvices » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:10 am

Hundreds of dollars? You could probably get everything you need for around $150 bucks. The expensive part would be the outdoor burner and kettle. But I got mine for around 70 bucks and it came with an 8 gallon stainless kettle. All you need to do then is install a ball valve on the kettle and rig up a chiller from some copper. Then pick up a cooler from wall mart and a stainless steel water return line braid and you are in business for a mash tun. All grain doesn;t have to involve lots of fancy equipment and you save a ton of money on ingredients.

Check http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 am

majorvices wrote:Hundreds of dollars? You could probably get everything you need for around $150 bucks. The expensive part would be the outdoor burner and kettle. But I got mine for around 70 bucks and it came with an 8 gallon stainless kettle. All you need to do then is install a ball valve on the kettle and rig up a chiller from some copper. Then pick up a cooler from wall mart and a stainless steel water return line braid and you are in business for a mash tun. All grain doesn;t have to involve lots of fancy equipment and you save a ton of money on ingredients.

Check http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Agreed, you dont even need a ball valve on the kettle, i didnt for years. I used a siphon.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients