Ginger Soda

Soda is simple to make and a great alternative to have on hand for parties.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ginger Soda

Postby brewmiss96 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Made a keg of Ginger soda, it turned out pretty good. Was better once the carbonation set in more.

1 pound grated fresh ginger
Juice from 3 medium lemons
8 & 1/3 cups sugar
5 gallons water

Grate ginger with a cheese grater, I didn't peel it or freeze it (been told it's easier to grate once it's been frozen but haven't tried it). Put the Ginger, lemon juice, and sugar in SS kettle with one gallon of water, heated until sugar was dissolved and let sit half a day for maximum gingerness. Strained out ginger bits and poured sugar solution into keg, then poured 4 gallons of cool water over the strained ginger bits to get all the gingerness out. Hooked keg up to the CO2 at 13-15 psi and left it in the kegorator for a day to chill. Shook the keg a couple of times, CO2 was hooked up to the out valve so it filtered through the soda. Very good but would like even more gingerness next time.
Praise not the day until evening has come; a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Grouse Mountain Brewery
brewmiss96
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Ginger Soda

Postby dannyw » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 am

Mmmm, I too love a good homemade ginger ale, not too sweet with just enough ginger bite. My recipe is based on Jeff Renner's and is in the same neighborhood as yours, with the addition of some lemon zest, cardamom, and a lot less ginger. I think his recipe calls for 150g in 19l, I'm up to 200g; you are using 450g! Unfortunately as a natural product ginger seems to vary quite a lot in its potency. I guess making ginger ale with whole fresh ginger is like brewinig beer without knowing anything about the alpha acids of your hops.

For the batch I made last night I tried this stuff: http://www.gingerpeople.com/pantry-esse ... inger.html . Certainly was nice to not have to freeze, peel, and grind up the ginger. Hopefully it will be of more consistent quality and pungency so I can get the recipe dialed in. At $3 a jar it seems like quite the bargain to me.
dannyw
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:17 pm

The last time I made Ginger ale it turned out too medicinal flavored. I guess it's time to try it again but I think I'll experiment in 2 liter soda bottles before I go all out with 5 gallons.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby mm01 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:59 pm

I also like to drink some hot ginger tea to warm the body up if I got a cold.
mm01
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Soda