OBC FALL CLASSIC COMPLAINTS

Beer related events. Know of any festivals, competitions, conferences, etc? Been to any and want to tell others how great it was? This is the spot.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OBC FALL CLASSIC COMPLAINTS

Postby brewerj » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that this competition does not send back the judges score sheets. I only enter competitions to get feedback on my beer. It has been almost two months and I have sent several emails without a single response.

Things like this make the bjcp look bad when they recognize a competition and the competition does not follow through with what they claim.

I just want people to know that for future competitions this is not a good one to enter if you are looking for feedback or even ribbons.
brewerj
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby KevinP » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:09 am

In looking up this competition, it just happened in Mid November.... Hardly the two months you describe. Perhaps they were short staffed? Competitions can ALWAYS use more volunteers.

Have you contacted the BJCP Competition Director? That should be one place to go, to make your rant count.

Second, if this is sponsored by a club, have you contacted them?

Next, in the list of winners, I'm sure there are those whos email addresses are known or findable. Have you asked them if this delay is normal for this competition and if they have received their awards?

Kev.
Just a Gondolier on a stream of consciousness.
KevinP
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby brewerj » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:51 am

Six weeks going on seven would be the correct amount of time.

I have not emailed the director at the bjcp but that is a good idea.

I have emailed the club on three different occaisions. I even did an email to about 10 members. This is what I am most upset about so the only way I could get someone to respond was to start posting on the forums.

I am one of the winners and have not recieved scoresheets or ribbons and prizes as stated by one of their posts.
brewerj
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:45 am

Remember this is the holiday season. give them the benefit of the doubt. I can understand your fustration on getting the feedback so you can improve you beers. RDWHAHB.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:27 am

brewerj wrote:Six weeks going on seven would be the correct amount of time.

I have emailed the club on three different occaisions. I even did an email to about 10 members. This is what I am most upset about so the only way I could get someone to respond was to start posting on the forums.

I am one of the winners and have not recieved scoresheets or ribbons and prizes as stated by one of their posts.

It took longer than that to get my scoresheets from the regionals of the NHC. Just relax and wait. I also kept emailing people from that club and got nothing, finally went to the top at the AHA and got the explanantion I was looking for. They just had more enteries than expected and were understaffed. It happens and it is the holidays. I have only entered a handful of comps and a month minimum is what I expect for scoresheets.

Don't get too discouraged yet. I know nothing of this comp and am not associated with it in anyway and I am not a BJCP member.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby speed » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:40 am

I entered a beer in the nebr. state fair back in the first of sept. an still haven't got my ribbon, i got second place.Little preturbed about that.
What will be will be.
Jane Hodges
speed
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cjv85vmax » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:16 am

BrewBum wrote:
brewerj wrote:Six weeks going on seven would be the correct amount of time.

It took longer than that to get my scoresheets from the regionals of the NHC. Just relax and wait. I also kept emailing people from that club and got nothing, finally went to the top at the AHA and got the explanantion I was looking for. They just had more enteries than expected and were understaffed. It happens and it is the holidays. I have only entered a handful of comps and a month minimum is what I expect for scoresheets.

Don't get too discouraged yet. I know nothing of this comp and am not associated with it in anyway and I am not a BJCP member.

Like Brewbum is talking about it seems that any club that takes on an AHA sponsored event had better be ready for a lot of work. And your 7.00 dollar entry fee or what ever it was hardly takes care of all the costs. If the AHA doubled or even tripled the entry fee they could probably afford to pay a stipened to the BJCP judges who take the time to judge at AHA events and then they could get more judges to attend the comps. I know our region (Plains) had a lot of problems last year getting judges and other volunteers to travel due to the price of gas and then the added cost of food and lodging. But then what HBer wants to pay 20.00 bucks per entry on the homebrew level. I can't even bring myself to enter the same 5 beers in like 10 comps over a year, which is what a HBer should really do if they want a complete analysis of your beer by many different pallets. I figured if I picked out 5 beers to enter in 10 comps throughout one year, I would drop between 500-1000.00 dollars in entry fees and shipping. I would rather spend that 1K on brewing beer, riding moutain bikes and traveling to events like the GABF, and the NHC.

BTW, the GABF entry fee for pro brewers is like 300.00 per entry.

Anyway...sorry to go on.

Peace out.
cjv85vmax
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:47 am

speed wrote:I entered a beer in the nebr. state fair back in the first of sept. an still haven't got my ribbon, i got second place.Little preturbed about that.

THAT SUCKS DAN!!! Have you tried contacting anyone? I PM'd the organizers email address.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby schmerd » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:33 pm

I'm on the Oregon Brew Crew mailing list, so I can provide some additional information. Although the Fall Classic competition organizer for 2006 has been VERY slow at getting results posted and scoresheets returned, I do believe they will be sent sometime soon. It seems that there were some organizational problems (ordered the ribbons late) combined with some personal issues and the holidays that caused a huge delay here. I'm as frustrated as anybody.

Don't give up on the the Oregon Brew Crew and the Fall classic though. The competition organizer changes each year and the person elected for 2007 seems to be very motivated and organized. I suspect 2006 was an anomaly.
schmerd
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby schmerd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:38 am

I just got my score sheets and ribbons in the mail yesterday, so if you haven't received yours already, you should be seeing them soon.
schmerd
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby brewerj » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:15 pm

I recieved my scoresheets today and just wanted to say that this is a good competition. The only complaint is that the competition people were very hard to get a hold of.
brewerj
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:39 am

The thing you have to remember about comps is that their run and organized totally on a volunteer basis. These are people with ful time jobs, familes and lives of their own and it's easy to get overwhelmed. I usually just send off my entries and practice patience. I think two months to get your sheets is a little excessive but given the time of year involved forgivable. I do think they should have responded to any and all emails though, especially since they knew they were taking longer than normal.
Mark
Mark

Postby MDixon » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:11 am

brewerj wrote:I recieved my scoresheets today and just wanted to say that this is a good competition. The only complaint is that the competition people were very hard to get a hold of.

It was two months at the end of December and you received results on Jan. 20? It's far too excessive and they should look at their handling of the event. Our local promises scoresheets and prizes will hit the mail in 72 hours following the event and to my knowledge we have held to that for the past 11 years...
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: OBC FALL CLASSIC COMPLAINTS

Postby helloworld » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 am

Hm...I mailed my entry for this year's competition and noticed afterwards that their website did not say anything about score sheets. I received my score online, but no sheets. This was only a few days ago, but I've sent emails to 2 people and have not received a response from either. It sounds like with patience I will get my score sheet, but the unresponsiveness is still an issue so many years later.
helloworld
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Beer Events