Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Beer related events. Know of any festivals, competitions, conferences, etc? Been to any and want to tell others how great it was? This is the spot.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
kevinswright
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm
Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by kevinswright » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Hangar 24 Craft Brewery of Redlands, CA is proud to announce its inaugural homebrew competition. The competition will take place on Sat. May 22nd. The dates for entry submission are April 24 - May 15.

All BJCP category beers will be accepted (sorry no mead or cider). Grand prize winner will have their beer brewed by Hangar 24 brewers to be sold at the tasting room and entered into the 2010 GABF Pro-Am competition.

See http://www.hangar24brewery.com/homebrew.htm for rules and details.

Contact Kevin at kwright@hangar24brewery.com for questions or if you are BJCP certified and interested in judging.

User avatar
BrewBock
6 Pack (200 posts)
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:43 pm
Location: Chico, CA
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by BrewBock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 pm

kevinswright wrote:Hangar 24 Craft Brewery of Redlands, CA is proud to announce its inaugural homebrew competition. The competition will take place on Sat. May 22nd. The dates for entry submission are April 24 - May 15.

All BJCP category beers will be accepted (sorry no mead or cider). Grand prize winner will have their beer brewed by Hangar 24 brewers to be sold at the tasting room and entered into the 2010 GABF Pro-Am competition.

See http://www.hangar24brewery.com/homebrew.htm for rules and details.

Contact Kevin at kwright@hangar24brewery.com for questions or if you are BJCP certified and interested in judging.


Hello Mr. Brewer great orange beir by the way……if I win the contest will this contest grant the same brewing methods (i.e. protein rest)?
BrewBock

Fermenting: Das Boot Widowmaker Dopplebock

On Deck: Big Brother to Das Boot Widowmaker Dooplebock Ice Beir

User avatar
WingStall
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:03 pm
Location: Temecula, CA
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by WingStall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 pm

BeerBock,

Just so you are aware of who you are harassing, Kevin recently received the JS Ford Award from the Institute of Brewing & Distilling for having the highest score in the world on the most difficult brewing exam in the world. If you ever have the honor of meeting him in person, he'll be happy to share his expert opinion on the matter, which is in line with what everybody here has been telling you.

http://www.ibd.org.uk/qualifications/aw ... ord-award/
Cheers, Andy

User avatar
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)
Posts: 7111
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Sykesville Md
Contact:
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by Brewtime » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 am

BrewBock wrote:
kevinswright wrote:Hangar 24 Craft Brewery of Redlands, CA is proud to announce its inaugural homebrew competition. The competition will take place on Sat. May 22nd. The dates for entry submission are April 24 - May 15.

All BJCP category beers will be accepted (sorry no mead or cider). Grand prize winner will have their beer brewed by Hangar 24 brewers to be sold at the tasting room and entered into the 2010 GABF Pro-Am competition.

See http://www.hangar24brewery.com/homebrew.htm for rules and details.

Contact Kevin at kwright@hangar24brewery.com for questions or if you are BJCP certified and interested in judging.


Hello Mr. Brewer great orange beir by the way……if I win the contest will this contest grant the same brewing methods (i.e. protein rest)?


:roll: :roll: :roll: Give it up dude
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"

Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)
Posts: 869
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:23 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by Liquid Bread » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:29 pm

BrewBock wrote:Hello Mr. Brewer great orange beir by the way……if I win the contest will this contest grant the same brewing methods (i.e. protein rest)?


no.


See folks? That was easy. :mrgreen:
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie

User avatar
BrewBock
6 Pack (200 posts)
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:43 pm
Location: Chico, CA
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by BrewBock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Thank you Master Brewer for the reply,

My Homebrew friends and i have been diligently preparing and perfecting our beer recipes and are anxious to enter your Hangar 24 Inaugural HomeBrew contest.

Thank you
BrewBock

Fermenting: Das Boot Widowmaker Dopplebock

On Deck: Big Brother to Das Boot Widowmaker Dooplebock Ice Beir

Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)
Posts: 869
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:23 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by Liquid Bread » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:51 am

"Thank you Master Brewer for the reply,

My Homebrew friends and i have been diligently preparing and perfecting our beer recipes and are anxious to enter your Hangar 24 Inaugural HomeBrew contest."

:roll:


Anyway, what I'd like to know is whether or not there is a cost to enter or an entry limit.

I'll probably enter something unpopular, like a beer under 4.5% ABV, but it will be fun just the same. I'm going to go ahead and guess that something big and bold will win such as a strong Belgian ale (perhaps with a lot of hops), some sort of wood or food (vanilla, coffee, fruit, molasses, oatmeal, etc.) enhanced Porter derivative, some sort of strong pale ale with lots of hops, or perhaps some sort of super strength Lambic beer.
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie

kevinswright
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:08 pm
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by kevinswright » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Adrian

The cost is $5 for the first 2 beers entered, $5 each for additional beers. The only entry limit is one beer per category. All of the contest rules can be found on the webpage on the left hand side under "Rules". http://www.hangar24brewery.com/homebrew.htm

As far as the winner, the best quality beer will win no matter the style. I judged in a large homebrew competition last week and the best of show winner was an English Mild. You never know!

dWiGhT
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by dWiGhT » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 am

I liked it... ": )

dWiGhT

User avatar
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)
Posts: 7111
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Sykesville Md
Contact:
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by Brewtime » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:13 am

way to bring dredge up an old dead post there :wink:
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"

dWiGhT
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by dWiGhT » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks... don't know why I like it though... "; )

dWiGhT

hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Merced, CA
Contact:
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by hwasone » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:03 am

Brewtime wrote:way to bring dredge up an old dead post there :wink:


sorry, my fault. dwight stopped by and had a few beers last night... his pro-am entry for GABF that he brewed with Hangar 24 came up and I guess he felt like some roundabout bragging.
Jason

dWiGhT
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm
Re: Hangar 24 Craft Brewery Inaugural Homebrew Competition

Post by dWiGhT » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:44 am

:oops:

I've been figured out. :roll:

dWiGhT


Post Reply