Hangar 24 Brewery 2nd Annual Homebrew Competition

Beer related events. Know of any festivals, competitions, conferences, etc? Been to any and want to tell others how great it was? This is the spot.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevinswright
Taster Glass (2 posts)
Hangar 24 Brewery 2nd Annual Homebrew Competition

Post by kevinswright » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:45 am

Hangar 24 Craft Brewery would like to announce our 2nd Annual Homebrew Competition. Entries will be accepted between April 23rd - May 15th. Judging will take place on May 21st.

Last year's competition was a huge success attracting 256 entries from accross the country. We hope to build on that success this year with an even bigger competition pool.

As always, the winning recipe will be brewed on our 25 bbl system and sold at the brewery and select accounts. We will also be entering the GABF Pro-Am Competition with the winning beer.

Please see our website for more details.
http://www.hangar24brewery.com/homebrew.htm

MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)
Re: Hangar 24 Brewery 2nd Annual Homebrew Competition

Post by MaltnHopsrGood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 pm

I plan on entering this. This will be my first competition and I want to have a few entries in it. So far I have two that I'm going to enter, and I need to get around to brewing an oatmeal stout. I have the ingredients, just haven't found the time. The brewery is about an hour from my house, so I plan on being there for the competition as well.

Anyone else entering/going?
Bottled: Nothing
Keg #1: Dark Chocolate Stout
Keg #2: Bourbon Barrel Stout
Keg #3: Nothing
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Pale Ale
Next On Deck: India Pale Ale
Brewed in 2017: 50 gallons

turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Post by turbo_ale » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 pm

MaltnHopsrGood wrote:I plan on entering this. This will be my first competition and I want to have a few entries in it. The brewery is about an hour from my house, so I plan on being there for the competition as well. Anyone else entering/going?

Like you, same thing. Will the judging be at H24 ?
I am going to brew a couple different beers to fit in categories: 20, 21A, 21B, 23.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale

Mwilson
Pitcher (300 posts)

Post by Mwilson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

MaltnHopsrGood wrote:I plan on entering this. This will be my first competition and I want to have a few entries in it. So far I have two that I'm going to enter, and I need to get around to brewing an oatmeal stout. I have the ingredients, just haven't found the time. The brewery is about an hour from my house, so I plan on being there for the competition as well.

Anyone else entering/going?

If it turns out well, I'm entering my porter, next brew on the list is an IPA, our first. Too bad I can't enter my braggot... Anybody know if I could? It's virtually identical to that Honey Pale kit B3 sells... and it's turned out so well! I could just call it an ale... :(
Am. Hefeweizen bread starter waffle:

Kegged: Simply Hefeweizen
In Primary:
Malting: Kolsch
Next (?): Denny Conn's BVIP, Saison

chico
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Post by chico » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am

It's a great competition. I entered it last year. The awards are very nice and the results were out the next day. If i have something ready, I'll probably send it in.

Mwilson wrote:Too bad I can't enter my braggot... Anybody know if I could? It's virtually identical to that Honey Pale kit B3 sells... and it's turned out so well! I could just call it an ale... :(

You could enter the braggot as 23 specialty beer since they aren't doing mead and cider. I have done that in the past.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Mwilson
Pitcher (300 posts)

Post by Mwilson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 am

Will do! Thanks!
Am. Hefeweizen bread starter waffle:

Kegged: Simply Hefeweizen
In Primary:
Malting: Kolsch
Next (?): Denny Conn's BVIP, Saison

turbo_ale

Post by turbo_ale » Tue May 17, 2011 4:23 pm

I dropped off two of my brews this Friday 13th at Hangar 24, good luck day IMO :wink:
This will be interesting, I plan on showing up for the awards presentation, May 21st at 5:00 PM and consume your Double IPA.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale

MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Post by MaltnHopsrGood » Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 am

turbo_ale wrote:I dropped off two of my brews this Friday 13th at Hangar 24, good luck day IMO :wink:
This will be interesting, I plan on showing up for the awards presentation, May 21st at 5:00 PM and consume your Double IPA.
I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it there tomorrow for the competition. We have a lot to plan for on Saturday because my step-daughter is graduating college on Sunday and the party is at our house after her ceremony (with my brew on tap). We're planning on getting up early on Saturday to get everything done. My wife told me to go without her that afternoon and enjoy myself while she finishes up. I have a great wife! :D

Hope to see you there Turbo. Anyone else planning on attending?

turbo_ale

Post by turbo_ale » Sun May 22, 2011 8:02 pm

I have a general question about beer competitions:

Do the judges take away points for bottled condition vs. forced carbed by CO2 ?

Do the judges take away points for unfiltered beer vs. filtered beer ?

Most of the brewers who placed were multiple winners in many categories, either they are doing something very correct or I am doing something very wrong. This is not sour grapes, I just want to learn and get better for the next time.
http://hangar24brewery.com/events-admin/

I very much enjoyed the event and your Hangar 24 Rye India Black Ale, I want more of that !
http://www.hangar24brewery.com/co_rye_india.htm
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale

BrewBum

Post by BrewBum » Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 am

They shouldn't take away points for any of those.

Keep in mind that appearance is only a total of 3 points and that includes color, so even if your beer is cloudy it won't hurt you that much.

If you are searching for where you went wrong and why someone else did great, don't look at those two things. They would be the least of your worries typically.

Most people do not filter their beers.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com

Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Post by Brandon » Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 am

BrewBum wrote:
Just the great ones :D
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me

MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Post by MaltnHopsrGood » Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah, I'm still wondering what happened on Saturday. I had three beers in competition (or so I think). There were only 2 medals awarded for brown ales, yet I submitted a beer in that category and didn't win anything. Does that even make any sense? Was I out of style possibly and they didn't award due to that?

I dropped off my beers and check off at Riverside B3 about a month before the competition and my check still hasn't been cashed...maybe it never got to Hangar 24? I'd really like to know what happened. Does anyone know how we are supposed to receive feedback? Email/regular mail?

Turbo, it was nice hanging out with you at the competition. Let me know when you receive your feedback. I'm interested to know how you scored. Thanks again for sharing your salsa verde and pineapple guava beers. My buddy and I really enjoyed them.

MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Post by MaltnHopsrGood » Mon May 23, 2011 9:39 am

I emailed Kevin at H24. He said that score sheets can be picked up at the brewery for the next 2 weeks. After that, all score sheets will be mailed to the participants.

turbo_ale

Post by turbo_ale » Mon May 23, 2011 12:25 pm

BrewBum wrote:They shouldn't take away points for any of those.

Keep in mind that appearance is only a total of 3 points and that includes color, so even if your beer is cloudy it won't hurt you that much.

If you are searching for where you went wrong and why someone else did great, don't look at those two things. They would be the least of your worries typically.

Great, thanks for clearing that up. I will wait to see the score sheet and see what can be improved for next time.

The other thing I just thought of is my use of dry yeast, I know most use the liquid yeast, maybe it was the yeast ?
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale

pclemon

Post by pclemon » Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm

MaltnHopsrGood wrote:Yeah, I'm still wondering what happened on Saturday. I had three beers in competition (or so I think). There were only 2 medals awarded for brown ales, yet I submitted a beer in that category and didn't win anything. Does that even make any sense? Was I out of style possibly and they didn't award due to that?

I dropped off my beers and check off at Riverside B3 about a month before the competition and my check still hasn't been cashed...maybe it never got to Hangar 24? I'd really like to know what happened. Does anyone know how we are supposed to receive feedback? Email/regular mail?
Could well be that your entries never made it (you'll know if you never get score sheets).

But the medals aren't necessarily a ranking. If there are only 3 entries it doesn't mean that all three place. If something doesn't score high enough to warrant a medal (being out of style could be a cause), they will leave it off the ranking. There doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule about when this will/won't happen.

As far as the multiple duplicate names on the medals... well, some people are competition whores... not that it's a bad thing but you see that with a lot of competitions. IMO many of those people are looking to win medals more than they are for constructive feedback on a recipe. To each their own.
Pete