Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby vjboxer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:52 pm

MuddyMikes wrote:This recipe is very similar in flavor, only slightly less sweet. In my opinion that is. But that's why I am looking for others input.


Hang in there I'll get to it.
On tap: Southern English Brown Ale, Brown Rye, Ho Ho Ho Holiday Ale (from the Stone book used dried chestnuts, juniper, caraway, white sage leaves)
Kegged and Conditioning: Consecration Ale
Bourbon Barrel: NOTHING
On Deck: Pale Ale
User avatar
vjboxer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: N FL Beer Wasteland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby tookalisten » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 pm

I have this on my "to do" list too. Just have not gotten to it yet. Glad you brought the thread back up though, moves it back up a few notches.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: JZ's WCB, RIS
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale
User avatar
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4848
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: NC - yall

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Robin A » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 pm

MuddyMikes wrote:Anyone ever try this recipe? If so, how did it turn out?


Just got home with the ingredients....will be brewing this weekend :D

One last question what temp should I ferment at? About 62?

Thanks
Robin
User avatar
Robin A
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: NW Chicago suburbs

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby MuddyMikes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:48 pm

I had really good success with mine when fermented in the basement. Ambient air temp between 66-68 degrees. But I would like to try it at a lower, more controled temp. Let us know how it turns out.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
User avatar
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Fallston, Maryland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Beer4Guy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 pm

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about this recipe and am not especially fond of Cream Ales, but ended up brewing this a few weeks ago. I just kegged it last night and had a "sample" and thought it was absolutely awesome. And at 6.1% ABV, I can't wait for the women to suck this back like it's a Bud Light Lime - should make for some fun nights.

Cheers,

Guy
User avatar
Beer4Guy
Barrel (1000 posts)
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Encinitas, CA

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Robin A » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:15 pm

MuddyMikes wrote:I had really good success with mine when fermented in the basement. Ambient air temp between 66-68 degrees. But I would like to try it at a lower, more controled temp. Let us know how it turns out.


Will do
My basement ambient is about 62 right now....

I'm also going to follow your suggestion, and add the honey after 4-5 days of primary...
User avatar
Robin A
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: NW Chicago suburbs

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby MuddyMikes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Beer4Guy wrote:I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about this recipe and am not especially fond of Cream Ales, but ended up brewing this a few weeks ago. I just kegged it last night and had a "sample" and thought it was absolutely awesome. And at 6.1% ABV, I can't wait for the women to suck this back like it's a Bud Light Lime - should make for some fun nights.

Cheers,

Guy

Excellent Guy .... good to hear. Maybe you should keep a camera around when the Honey's come by to sample your brew. :wink:
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
User avatar
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Fallston, Maryland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby MuddyMikes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Robin A wrote:
MuddyMikes wrote:I had really good success with mine when fermented in the basement. Ambient air temp between 66-68 degrees. But I would like to try it at a lower, more controled temp. Let us know how it turns out.


Will do
My basement ambient is about 62 right now....

I'm also going to follow your suggestion, and add the honey after 4-5 days of primary...

Be prepared for an extended fermentation period. It might take nearly three weeks to fully ferment. I'd have to check my notes, but I'm sure it exceeded 2 weeks for me.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
User avatar
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Fallston, Maryland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Beer4Guy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Mike-

I really like way the Kolsch yeast stands out in this recipe. Granted, the sample I had was not yet carbed and a little warm, but what great flavor. I added a little more honey than your recipe (1.5lbs) and added it at the end of the boil, but it is still easy to detect. Also, I used 2 oz of "sweet orange" peel and couldn't really pick it up in the flavor, so perhaps that was a mistake. At any rate, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to really enjoy it once it reaches my tap.

Cheers,

Guy
User avatar
Beer4Guy
Barrel (1000 posts)
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Encinitas, CA

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby MuddyMikes » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Beer4Guy wrote:Mike-

I really like way the Kolsch yeast stands out in this recipe. Granted, the sample I had was not yet carbed and a little warm, but what great flavor. I added a little more honey than your recipe (1.5lbs) and added it at the end of the boil, but it is still easy to detect. Also, I used 2 oz of "sweet orange" peel and couldn't really pick it up in the flavor, so perhaps that was a mistake. At any rate, thanks for the recipe. I'm going to really enjoy it once it reaches my tap.

Cheers,

Guy


Try adding the orange peel/zest to your secondary next time. :wink:
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
User avatar
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Fallston, Maryland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Robin A » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I brewed this recipe last Saturday as my first all grain batch.....
I won't go into all of the first time mistakes I made (but there were many) :oops:

I just added the honey this morning, and fermentation kicked right back up, there's about 2-3 inches of kraeusen again
I'll leave this in primary for another 8-9 days before racking to secondary......
User avatar
Robin A
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: NW Chicago suburbs

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby MuddyMikes » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:01 am

Robin A wrote:I brewed this recipe last Saturday as my first all grain batch.....
I won't go into all of the first time mistakes I made (but there were many) :oops:

I just added the honey this morning, and fermentation kicked right back up, there's about 2-3 inches of kraeusen again
I'll leave this in primary for another 8-9 days before racking to secondary......

Hey Robin ...... I very curious as to how this turned out for you.
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
User avatar
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Fallston, Maryland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Robin A » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:30 am

Mike

I just Bottled this yesterday..actually I put 1/2 in a keg, & 1/2 in bottles....so it is carbing as I type

it finished with a FG of 1.012 and the hydro sample tasted really good

I will let you know how it is after this weekend (I'm taking the 1/2 I kegged to the Bears / Packers game for the pregame tailgate party :D )
User avatar
Robin A
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: NW Chicago suburbs

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby MuddyMikes » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:41 am

Robin A wrote:Mike

I just Bottled this yesterday..actually I put 1/2 in a keg, & 1/2 in bottles....so it is carbing as I type

it finished with a FG of 1.012 and the hydro sample tasted really good

I will let you know how it is after this weekend (I'm taking the 1/2 I kegged to the Bears / Packers game for the pregame tailgate party :D )

The Packers sure beat up on my Ravens Monday.

I hope it's a hit.

M
Wine is but
single broth.
Ale is meat,
drink and cloth.

16th Century English Proverb
User avatar
MuddyMikes
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 2748
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 am
Location: Fallston, Maryland

Re: Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale - Shared

Postby Robin A » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:12 am

I took a growler from my keg to my club meeting last night

it went over very well dispite not being fully carbed yet

came out very clean, I'm going to make this again for my neices college graduation party, the only change I'll make is up the orange just a touch for the youngsters.....
User avatar
Robin A
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: NW Chicago suburbs

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest