Water Profile for FW Union Jack-extract

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby summy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Hey all. Not sure if this should be in this section or not, but here goes. I am an all grain brewer and I haven't done an extract batch in 8 years. I am wanting to brew the Firestone Walker Union Jack recipe for "Learn to Homebrew Day", extract version. Haven't actually seen an extract recipe anywhere, but have converted the all grain to extract. During the interview, Jamil states that for water they "use reverse osmosis and add back Gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm". As an extract beer, how do I go about creating that profile? I plan to use 7.5 gallons of distilled water for a full boil. I was on ProBrewer's calculator and plugged in 5.2g of gypsum and 8g of CaCl. The result is: 94ppm Ca, 102ppm SO4, and 91ppm Cl. Am I in the ballpark for what Jamil said. Are there any minerals that are not represented that need to be? I find Jamil's comment to be a bit vague, but then again I know very little to nothing about water chemistry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan S.
Portico Brewing
http://www.starcitybrewers.org
On Deck: San Diego Dark Session Ale, APA and American Stout
Primary:
Lagering: Rye Pilsner
On Tap:
American Barleywine
Denny's Belgian IPA
FW Union Jack Clone
Big Belgian Blond
In Bottles:
Chocolate Chicory Stout/Porter
RIS
McZainasheff's Wee
English IPA
summy
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:33 pm

summy wrote:Hey all. Not sure if this should be in this section or not, but here goes. I am an all grain brewer and I haven't done an extract batch in 8 years. I am wanting to brew the Firestone Walker Union Jack recipe for "Learn to Homebrew Day", extract version. Haven't actually seen an extract recipe anywhere, but have converted the all grain to extract. During the interview, Jamil states that for water they "use reverse osmosis and add back Gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm". As an extract beer, how do I go about creating that profile? I plan to use 7.5 gallons of distilled water for a full boil. I was on ProBrewer's calculator and plugged in 5.2g of gypsum and 8g of CaCl. The result is: 94ppm Ca, 102ppm SO4, and 91ppm Cl. Am I in the ballpark for what Jamil said. Are there any minerals that are not represented that need to be? I find Jamil's comment to be a bit vague, but then again I know very little to nothing about water chemistry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem u need to solve is the extract companies water profile because those minerals will be in your extract. Try emailing them and see if you can get it. Without you are shooting in the dark.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Re: Water Profile for FW Union Jack-extract

Postby summy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Probably will be Munton's Light Liquid extract and Briess Light DME. The LHBS is donating all of the ingredients for those who brew for Learn to Homebrew Day, so I guess I should check with them.
Bryan S.
Portico Brewing
http://www.starcitybrewers.org
On Deck: San Diego Dark Session Ale, APA and American Stout
Primary:
Lagering: Rye Pilsner
On Tap:
American Barleywine
Denny's Belgian IPA
FW Union Jack Clone
Big Belgian Blond
In Bottles:
Chocolate Chicory Stout/Porter
RIS
McZainasheff's Wee
English IPA
summy
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby whiteManCanHop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:03 am

As brewbum states, there will already be mineral content in your extract. Adding more gypsum and CaCl will only add to whats there already... so it is likely you do not need to add as much as you calculated to get to 100ppm.

If I were you, I would make my life simple. Brew the recipe with distilled and if you really feel like it, add a small amount, say a couple of grams, of gypsum (no CaCl) to the boil to enhance the hops a bit.
whiteManCanHop
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby vjboxer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 am

Yeah, not knowing the extract content is the curve ball. Either brew it without any adjustments using distilled water or if you really need to add something, adding 5g of gypsum would be ok, that's making the assumption that the water used for the extract was just general purpose water.
On tap: Southern English Brown Ale, Brown Rye, Ho Ho Ho Holiday Ale (from the Stone book used dried chestnuts, juniper, caraway, white sage leaves)
Kegged and Conditioning: Consecration Ale
Bourbon Barrel: NOTHING
On Deck: Pale Ale
vjboxer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby speed » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

i had this beer last weekend in denver at the taphouse, cask conditioned its the first time i've had this beer ,it was awesome.
What will be will be.
Jane Hodges
speed
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am

speed wrote:i had this beer last weekend in denver at the taphouse, cask conditioned its the first time i've had this beer ,it was awesome.

I've not had it on cask - just in the bottle - but agreed, it's just a solid IPA.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Danny1788 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 am

I live 30 min north of Firestone Walker in CA. The tap-room is an awesome place, they have beer on tap there that they dont bottle or sell outside the Brewery. They make an english barley wine that is conditioned in an oak barrel that is just about the best thing i have ever had. Sorry dosent really help with the post.
Danny1788
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles