Looking for a Pale Lager Recipe

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Looking for a Pale Lager Recipe

Postby tbonertroninski » Wed May 02, 2012 10:26 am

Hey everyone, I recently drank a Sweetwater beer called "Road Trip". It is marketed as a Pale Lager that is brewed with Ale yeast at some point (possibly starting with a lager strain and then finishing up with an ale stain. It drinks like a smoother refreshing IPA. Think of a beer with the hoppy punch of an IPA with the straw coloring of a Helles and the body of a maibock. I think it comes in at about 6% ABV but is drinkable like a lawnmower beer. Damn Delicious.

I have been unable to find any kits for sale that would lead to this amalgamated beer style. Any suggestions?
My train of thought is more of a boat
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Looking for a Pale Lager Recipe

Postby tbonertroninski » Wed May 02, 2012 10:37 am

UpDate This is the info from Sweetwater Brewing http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/road-trip/

a fiery Pilsner fermented at ale temperatures for a fuller flavor, capped by and intense spicy-hop finish. Nobody Rides for Free

Specs – 5.2% alcohol

Grain – Pilsner and Vienna Malt

Hops – Sterling and US Golding

To my knowledge, They generally do not brew any other Largers. Could they be using just a straight American Ale Yeast?

I am looking to put this together as an extract batch
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am

If they are stating it is a lager, they are using lager yeast, cold storage ?

The New Belgium 1554 is labeled an ale, but uses a lager yeast at ale temps.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby tbonertroninski » Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 am

They do not specify that it is a lager... Only "a fiery Pilsner fermented at ale temperatures for a fuller flavor" I would think Fermenting a At Ale temps with a Lager yeast would produce too much funk. Any thoughts on the Measurables for a recipe? Can I use Pilsner LME and add a pound of German Vienna Malt as a specialty grain? Hop additions amounts and times?
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed May 02, 2012 11:11 am

A steam beer is essentially a lager fermented closer to ale temps (60-62 degrees).

I would probably go with a 90/10 mix of Pilsner/Vienna (or figure out what you need for Pilsner extract and steep the 10% Vienna malt).
Hop to roughly 35 IBU's - from the sounds of it there was maybe some amount of late hops, would need to play around with it but an ounce of the EKG at 5 minutes left would be a good starting point

The unknown is what yeast they use. I see no reason not to go with Wyeast 2112 - California Lager and ferment it at 60.

If they say it's a Pilsner fermented at ale temps - a Pilsner by definition uses a lager yeast.... so unless the person writing the copy didn't know what they were talking about I'd suspect it's a lager yeast.
Pete
pclemon

Postby turbo_ale » Wed May 02, 2012 11:20 am

What I did for my 1554 Porter I used two different Lager yeasts, carboy 1 used WLP862 Cry Havoc @ 68F and carboy 2 used WLP810 San Fran Lager @ 65F.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby tbonertroninski » Wed May 02, 2012 11:31 am

Good input Pete, Thanks.

Here is what I have put together so far. i have no Brew Software stuff so ...cut me some slack:

10 Gallon Batch/ Extract Brew
2 LBS Crushed German Vienna Malt (Steeped)
15.15 LBS Pilsner LME
2 OZ Sterling (60 Min)
2 OZ Strling (30 Min)
2 OZ US Goldings (5 Min)

Expected OG is 1.056

Yeast Wyeast 2112 California Common @ 60*
Estimated Attenuation of 69% gives me a FG of 1.015 A bit Malty (but good) 5.1 % ABV Pretty on Target for the Brew

Have you tasted this beer before Pete. As Far as the IBU's, am on target?
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 pm

tbonertroninski wrote:Good input Pete, Thanks.

Here is what I have put together so far. i have no Brew Software stuff so ...cut me some slack:

10 Gallon Batch/ Extract Brew
2 LBS Crushed German Vienna Malt (Steeped)
15.15 LBS Pilsner LME
2 OZ Sterling (60 Min)
2 OZ Strling (30 Min)
2 OZ US Goldings (5 Min)

Expected OG is 1.056

Yeast Wyeast 2112 California Common @ 60*
Estimated Attenuation of 69% gives me a FG of 1.015 A bit Malty (but good) 5.1 % ABV Pretty on Target for the Brew

Have you tasted this beer before Pete. As Far as the IBU's, am on target?

I've not made this beer before, no - was just going back of the envelope (and I've got a small amount of knowledge). IME, 2112 will attenuate a little more than that - just make sure to make a starter for it. If the alpha of the Sterling is in the 7% range you're at ~45 IBU's, which I think a little high for a "lawnmower" beer. Cut it back to 1.5 @ 60 and 1.5@ 30 and you're closer to 35.
Pete
pclemon

Postby tbonertroninski » Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Pete-
Thanks for the responses. I will cut back the Sterlings a bit and if the yeast performs better, Great! Do you think I could ferment both carboys off of one smack pack? I know a good sized starter will be necessary. Or would it be better to "splurge" and spend the extra $6.95. If this gets close, I am going to be very happy. If anyone else has any thought, let men know. i plan on brewing in two weeks.
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 am

tbonertroninski wrote:Pete-
Thanks for the responses. I will cut back the Sterlings a bit and if the yeast performs better, Great! Do you think I could ferment both carboys off of one smack pack? I know a good sized starter will be necessary. Or would it be better to "splurge" and spend the extra $6.95. If this gets close, I am going to be very happy. If anyone else has any thought, let men know. i plan on brewing in two weeks.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Can't recommend the use of this calculator enough. Using it, you could use one yeast pack but would need quite a large starter.

IMO - don't skimp on the yeast - remember, you don't make beer, you make wort... the yeast is what makes it beer.
Pete
pclemon

Postby tbonertroninski » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Update on Progress. I got a really late start making this beer. It has been in the primary for 10 days and Krausen has fallen but still fine bubbles on the top. I have been fermenting with the fridge temp set at 58* for Wyeast 2112 California Common. I have never done a diacetyl rest before and have decided I need to now.

From my reading, most people only do this with Lagers? And they increase the temp 10* or so for 24-48 hours. That would put me at 68-70* on a lager. Seems strange. I feel like the yeast I use and the ferm temp kind of eliminates the need for a D-Rest. Am I wrong?

The Beer is still in the Primary and I have not taken a Gravity reading yet. My plan is to simply rack to secondary and lager down to 33* for a week or so then keg and age. Should I build in a couple of days for a D-Rest and what should my target temp be?
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I wouldn't bother with the d-rest and do just as you outlined. I wouldn't say a D-rest would be in any way strange at 70 degrees though nor would I expect it to hurt.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Henning1966 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 am

On the d rest I would say take a sample and taste it if you get butterscotch or buttery popcorn do one if not dont worry about it. The temp on a d rest is usually a increase of around 8 to 10 degrees above ferment but slowly so as to not shock the active beasts.
Henning1966
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby tbonertroninski » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks Pete and Henning-
I have brewed a few Lagers previously and never did a D-Rest and never had a butter taste. Recently however I simply wanted to improve my been to the fullest. Sample tastes good, still clocking in at 1.016 or so. It has been 14 days in the primary. I will wait until this Saturday to check gravity again. If no change, I am simply going to start Lagering down, Crash, Keg, Carb, and enjoy. I will let you all know the final specs.

Thanks again for the input.
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby tbonertroninski » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 am

Well, The beer is done and came out pretty great. Slightly hazy, crisp, bitter enough, but still has a malt backbone. FG ended at 1.014. Despite wising pale malt etc, it has a honey amber color to it. Really reminds me of Maibock or Saison. Difficult to pin down. Very Drinkable, good head retention, definatly bridges the gap between summer and fall.
T-Bone
tbonertroninski
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles