Alaskan Amber clone?

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alaskan Amber clone?

Postby tookalisten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 am

Cant get it on the East coast, but in my travels to Arizona last week, I was able to sample my first. I really liked this beer!
Any tried and true clone recipes out there? I think I would keep this on tap.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Alaskan Amber clone?

Postby tookalisten » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok, this is funny - doing some searches and ran across this old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28184

I don't even remember posting this, but went back in my notes and sure enough, I had brewed this. However, I have no way of knowing if it tasted like the real thing.

So, looking a recipe that someone has tried with a side by side, triple blind taste test and feel they have it. I have seen some postings using a Kolsch yeast - that sounds good and will be my first experiment if no other suggestions come along.
tookalisten

Postby alewife » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 am

You know, I did brew this once 3 or 4 years ago. We liked it, not sure why I haven't brewed it again??? I used WLP 029 tho, which probably splits the difference between German Ale and a Kolsch! Probably a recipe I should give a second try. Let us know how the Kolsch yeast turns out.

Alewife
On Deck: Irish Heavy, Mother Bunch's Holiday Porter, Dobby's Magic (like Mad Elf)

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink:

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I've read some comments that state it may be more of a German Alt rather than an Amber; so you may have the right yeast. I've got to brew my session pale ale this weekend; but will plan to brew this Alaskan next. Maybe plan to split a 10 gallon batch and do one with Kolsch yeast and the other with WLP029

Thanks!
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Brewing this tomorrow morning - gonna make 10 gallons and plan to use Wyeast 2565/Kolsch.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby rookie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:55 am

tookalisten wrote:I've read some comments that state it may be more of a German Alt rather than an Amber; so you may have the right yeast. I've got to brew my session pale ale this weekend; but will plan to brew this Alaskan next. Maybe plan to split a 10 gallon batch and do one with Kolsch yeast and the other with WLP029

Thanks!

It is an alt. When they brewed an actual amber some time later they had to call it something else.
Even if you don't exactly clone Alaskan Amber an alt is pretty good.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks, just wrapped up my brew session. Started at 0600 this morning while it was still cool out.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Alaskan Amber clone?

Postby Brewtime » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm

tookalisten wrote:Thanks, just wrapped up my brew session. Started at 0600 this morning while it was still cool out.

I hear ya
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:02 am

Just put 10 gallons of this to kegs. Tasting it out of the fermenter, I think it is going to be close; however, it is not as "amber" in color as the original.

The recipe had 1.0 lb of Crystal 40, 0.66 lb Crystal 60, and 0.33 lb Crystal 90. I think next time I am going to flip the C40 and C60 amounts, or maybe use C120 instead of C90.

Either way, I think it is going to be good!
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 am

Still has a few days to be fully carb'd; but other than the color needing to be a little darker amber, it seems the original has more malt flavor than this version. Very close though and it is a great brew; probably my favorite "amber" I've brewed to date. I really like the Kolsch yeast; but I plan to use the German Alt yeast next to see the difference between the two.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:21 am

Decided I would give this one another go. Planned brewday next Saturday.

Did not think the color was quite right and definitely not enough malt in the flavor profile of my previous batch. Weighed out the grains today.

New recipe:
9.5 lbs Rahr 2 row
1.0 lb Crystal 60
10 oz Crystal 40
6 oz Crystal 120
(original recipe had 1 lb C40, 0.66lb C60, and 0.33lb C90)
same hop schedule.
Using Wyeast German Ale yeast this time instead of the Wyeast Kolsch.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby rookie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:49 am

[/quote]
Using Wyeast German Ale yeast this time instead of the Wyeast Kolsch.[/quote]

Wyeast 1007 is a better choice, 1010 would also work well.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm

I was pretty sure that a recipe had been in BYO magazine a while back and found it on line. I don't know if you brew extract or all grain but if you need to you should be able to convert the extract to two row fairly easily. This is also fairly old and you might be able to substitute some more modern ingredients.
I hope it helps.

Alaskan Brewing Co's Alaskan Amber clone

5 gallons, extract with grains; OG = 1.054 FG = 1.015; Bitterness = 20 IBUs

Ingredients:
• 1 lb. two-row pale malt
•1/2 lb. medium crystal malt
•1/2 lb. light crystal malt
•5 lbs. Munton's unhopped light dried malt extract (DME)
•4 AAU Cascade hops (1 oz. of 4% alpha acid)
•4 AAU Saaz hops (1 oz. of 4% alpha acid)
•1 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes of the boil)
•German ale yeast slurry (Wyeast 1007, White Labs WLP-029 or equivalent)
•7/8 cups light DME for priming

Step by Step:

Crush pale and crystal malts. Steep in 2.5 gallons water at 150° F for 45 minutes. Remove grains, add DME and stir well. Bring to a boil, add Cascade hops. Boil 45 minutes, add Saaz hops, boil additional 15 minutes.

Remove from heat, cool. Add to fermenter along with enough chilled, pre-boiled water to make up 5.25 gallons.

When cooled to 68° F or so, aerate well and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68° F for ten days. Rack to secondary, condition cold (40° F) for fifteen days. Prime with DME. Bottle and condition at a cool cellar temperature (50° F) for two weeks. Serve at 50° F in a straight-sided altbier glass.

All-grain option:

Omit the dried malt extract and mash 8 lbs. pale malt plus the crystals (as above) in 12 quarts water at 152° F. Sparge with 15 quarts at 168° F.

Proceed as above from boiling and reduce wort volume to 5.25 gallons.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks KT.
I am using AG and have converted. Started with the BYO recipe and have been gradually altering it. I am thinking the grain bill is now right but just need to hit the right yeast. I think the German Ale will get us close. Plan to brew it this weekend.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Racked the second attempt to the keg today. The color looks right and it tastes great out of the fermenter, uncarb'd. I really like the German Ale yeast. Can't wait to try once it is carb'd appropriately. I think this one will be closer to the real thing.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles