Need some help tweaking a barley wine recipe.

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Need some help tweaking a barley wine recipe.

Postby GrimHead » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 am

Hello everyone! Been brewing all-grain for about a year now, with six or seven batches under my belt, and figured it was time to make my own recipe. I'm going to have a massive yeast cake of WLP099 (Super-high gravity yeast) left over from my current batch- an Imperial Stout- and someone suggested I re-use it in a go-for-broke barley wine. Played around with some suggestions and with the style guide in Designing Great Beers, and came up with the following:

19.5 lbs. Maris Otter
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
3.00 oz Chinook (bittering hops) 60 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade (Aroma hops) 5 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade (Flavor hops) 1 minute
And the ol' WLP099 from my imperial stout as the yeast. Will probably end up with, oh, a trillion cells to work their magic.
Considering adding some dry hops as well.

Current result predictions according to Beersmith 2:
Est original gravity- 1.111
IBUs- 109.9
Color- 21.4 SRM
ABV- 13%

Color is predicted as 2.5 SRM higher than max standard, and ABV is predicted as 13% (standard is 8-12% but I'm not planning in entering this in a contest anyway.) I'd add more chocolate, but that will only make it darker. Anyway, I wanted to keep it bitter, because most of the barley wines I've tried before (Sam Adams Tripple Boch, Old Scratch (?)) have tasted way too sweet.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice before I order the grain bill?
GrimHead
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Need some help tweaking a barley wine recipe.

Postby pclemon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 am

The Triple Bock isn't a barlyewine, it's a bock. And Bock's by their nature are on the more malty side.
I'd never heard of Old scratch but googled it and it's an Amber lager or 5.5% from Flying Dog.

I personally would back off the chocolate malt some, but that's personal taste.

I also wouldn't worry a ton about dry hopping. I usually age my barleywine for a little while and find that most dry hopping impact (aroma) has really dissipated after a year or so.

The other consideration is your yeast. Depending on the size of your stout you may NOT want to use that yeast. Yeast gets tired and/or dies off when it ferments out really high gravity beers and going from one to the next is usually not ideal.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby GrimHead » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 am

Been a while since I had a barley wine, so I really can't remember the name.
pclemon wrote:The other consideration is your yeast. Depending on the size of your stout you may NOT want to use that yeast. Yeast gets tired and/or dies off when it ferments out really high gravity beers and going from one to the next is usually not ideal.

I'm not too worried- WLP099 can get up to 25% ABV if treated right. The imperial stout is around 9% ABV. Fermentation started only 2-3 hours after pitching; I thoroughly oxygenated the wort and pitched from a starter, so the stout should just be a light snack for that yeast.

Thanks for the rest of the advice! :)
GrimHead
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:42 am

GrimHead wrote:Been a while since I had a barley wine, so I really can't remember the name.
pclemon wrote:The other consideration is your yeast. Depending on the size of your stout you may NOT want to use that yeast. Yeast gets tired and/or dies off when it ferments out really high gravity beers and going from one to the next is usually not ideal.

I'm not too worried- WLP099 can get up to 25% ABV if treated right. The imperial stout is around 9% ABV. Fermentation started only 2-3 hours after pitching; I thoroughly oxygenated the wort and pitched from a starter, so the stout should just be a light snack for that yeast.

Thanks for the rest of the advice! :)

I also have concerns with reusing the yeast it may have been weaken with the RIS. Just because your stout came in at 9% does not mean the yeast has another 16% left in it it does not work that way
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:11 pm

I know this post is a bit old but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway. If you use the stout yeast chances are you're going to pick up some color so I would skip the dark grains. 8 oz. of 20L crystal isn't really going to come through much at all in a big beer like this. If you want caramelized flavor go with a darker crystal. If you simply want a more malty flavor without adding much sweetness use 1-2 lb. of Munich instead of crystal. Barley wines often get too sweet because the wart is so thick that it caramelizes further in the boil making too many non fermentable sugars. If you wish to avoid this you can do a low temperature and long mash, avoid boiling to vigorously and no more than 60 min. Additions of sugar are commonly added as fermentable to lighten the body and sweetness. Corn sugar works well as it does not alter the flavor. Finally, your bittering hops are good but you're not going to get allot of flavor or aroma out of this one. It's all about personal preference but you can afford to go pretty crazy with the hops in a beer this big.
Personally I would do something like this to make it less sweet but big malt flavor.

I would make a big yeast starter rather than using the yeast cake.
18 lbs. Maris Otter
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L (maybe 1-2 lb. Munich or 60-120L crystal)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
1 Lb. corn sugar in the last 10 min. of the boil.
Hops are up to you. Depends what you want.

Maybe look up some clone recipes for Hair of the Dog Breweries, Fred. It's really hoppy but a great barley wine recipe and one of the better beers I've ever had.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Klickitat Jim » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Huh what? Star fish tastes like anise?

sent from me by smoke signal
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms, harleys, beer or brewery equipment, shall not be infringed!"
Klickitat Jim
6 Pack (200 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles