Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby tookalisten » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm

I probably use FWH in over 90% of my brews now. Another side benefit is that when I fill my kettle to the top, I do not have to worry about the potential quick boil over caused by throwing in my bittering hops in.

Mouse - this link is to "How to Brew" by John Palmer - a little more info on FWH that maybe will help answer your question as well - http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
User avatar
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: NC - yall

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby dmtaylor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm

CA_Mouse wrote:I've never tried first wort hopping, but wouldn't most of it be just bittering? Granted that most 60 minute additions are only bittering, but there is always a little bit that comes through on the flavor/aroma side as well. Is first wort hopping worth trying or is it just a specific type of bitter that it imparts?


There are differing opinions out there, of course, but some brewers like me think FWH is a load of hooey and false voodoo magic, i.e., it probably just doesn't matter. YMMV
Dave
User avatar
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Two Rivers, WI

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby tookalisten » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Dave - Even though I use it all the time, I too have often wondered if I could really tell the difference in a taste test.

I may pull out my two old 7.5 gallon kettles and split a batch and see if I can tell the difference. Would be an interesting experiment.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
User avatar
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: NC - yall

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby CA_Mouse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:26 pm

I actually have a copy of Palmer's book, but that doesn't really say that it is that perceptible. The link specifies low alpha hops for fwh and then 30% of the total finishing hops. I tend to agree with Dave on this one, seems like a lot of extra effort for very little if any perceptible hop bittering. I'm not set up to be able to test it on a single batch, so I will have to believe that it is plausible to be better. But as was already said YMMV

Apologies to G-bert for taking this off his OP.

Mouse
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche


Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
User avatar
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby alewife » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Well, I can tell the difference with FWH. Yes, you use more hops up front, but in the end I find the effect very smooth, definitely bitter, but without being harsh. So, I do it to please myself! I don't do it with all my recipes, but in some I think it works out well -- California Common, in particular, comes to mind. Try it, you might like it. You won't know unless you do. It really isn't that much more work. :wink:
On Deck: Flanders Red

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink: Harri's Tudor 1504 Ale; Irish Heavy, Dobby's Magic Belgian Dark

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2015 and 2016)
User avatar
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:28 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby CA_Mouse » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 am

alewife wrote:Well, I can tell the difference with FWH. Yes, you use more hops up front, but in the end I find the effect very smooth, definitely bitter, but without being harsh. So, I do it to please myself! I don't do it with all my recipes, but in some I think it works out well -- California Common, in particular, comes to mind. Try it, you might like it. You won't know unless you do. It really isn't that much more work. :wink:


I may try it some time in the future. I tend to brew summer sessions, Belgian ales and stouts, so I'll have to find something that I want more bitterness in.

Thanks Alewife

Mouse
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche


Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
User avatar
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:49 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby pclemon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 am

CA_Mouse wrote:I may try it some time in the future. I tend to brew summer sessions, Belgian ales and stouts, so I'll have to find something that I want more bitterness in.

Thanks Alewife

Mouse



I would think the belgian ales would be a perfect style to try it in since many of those recipes only call for a single bittering addition and just change the 60 min hop to a FWH.

And I'm with you - have never tried it before but given the information in this thread I just might do so on an upcoming batch.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Need help with hop tuning to please wife

Postby Brewtime » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 am

dmtaylor wrote:
CA_Mouse wrote:I've never tried first wort hopping, but wouldn't most of it be just bittering? Granted that most 60 minute additions are only bittering, but there is always a little bit that comes through on the flavor/aroma side as well. Is first wort hopping worth trying or is it just a specific type of bitter that it imparts?


There are differing opinions out there, of course, but some brewers like me think FWH is a load of hooey and false voodoo magic, i.e., it probably just doesn't matter. YMMV


Kind of like the whole HSA not an issue on the Homebrew scale arguement :roll:
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
User avatar
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)
 
Posts: 7079
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Sykesville Md

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests

cron