double IPA recipe

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

double IPA recipe

Postby jeeper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Anyone have a big, over the top double IPA recipe they would share ? I have several "per style" IPA's I brew on a regular basis that I'm very happy with, but never attempted a double

Edit.. bring on the hops. Money's no object :P
Jeff
jeeper
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: double IPA recipe

Postby usmcruz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Theirs this one in one of my brewing books that looks delicious at 266 ibus if you want me to post it.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 am

http://hopville.com/recipe/809383

That's a clone recipe for Firestone's Double Jack. Made it about 8 months ago - it's VERY close to the commercial product. Close enough I would say any difference was probably driven by water and process difference.

There's also any number of places you can get the recipe for a clone of pliny (It's in BCS as well). That too is a good solid recipe.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 am

usmcruz wrote:Theirs this one in one of my brewing books that looks delicious at 266 ibus if you want me to post it.

Now I'm thinking you do that on purpose.... :P

It's not worth dumping enough hops in a beer to get 266 IBU's, they say once you get up to 120 IBU's your taste buds won't know the difference if you went any higher.

I generally go up to 100 with barley wines and mid to upper 80's with imperial IPA's.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Re: Re: double IPA recipe

Postby usmcruz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 am

Monster Mash wrote:

:lol:
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:21 am

I've been wanting to try the one in BCS as well. That recipe looks good.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten

Postby pclemon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

tookalisten wrote:I've been wanting to try the one in BCS as well. That recipe looks good.

It made a good beer. I can't compare it to Pliny since I've never had one (never seen it on this coast). I will say though that even at 5 gallons it's a BIG beer in both hops and ABV and it took a little while to get through it.
Pete
pclemon

Postby tookalisten » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 am

I think 5 gallons is all I would make as well. I have a pale ale coming off soon, might be a good option for me to make it and pitch on that yeast cake.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten

Postby jeeper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks, That recipe looks good
Jeff
jeeper
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby WingStall » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:24 am

Monster Mash wrote:
usmcruz wrote:Theirs this one in one of my brewing books that looks delicious at 266 ibus if you want me to post it.

It's not worth dumping enough hops in a beer to get 266 IBU's, they say once you get up to 120 IBU's your taste buds won't know the difference if you went any higher.

I generally go up to 100 with barley wines and mid to upper 80's with imperial IPA's.

It's not that your taste buds won't know the difference past 120 IBUs; it's that no matter how much hops you use, only so much iso-alpha acids can be physically dissolved into the beer. Once you reach the limit of how much that particular beer can take, the rest winds up in your trub, not the beer. The higher the abv, the more IBUs you can get to stay in the beer, and good luck getting 120 in ANY beer... ain't gonna happen.
Cheers, Andy
WingStall

Postby turbo_ale » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 am

WingStall wrote:It's not that your taste buds won't know the difference past 120 IBUs; it's that no matter how much hops you use, only so much iso-alpha acids can be physically dissolved into the beer. Once you reach the limit of how much that particular beer can take, the rest winds up in your trub, not the beer. The higher the abv, the more IBUs you can get to stay in the beer, and good luck getting 120 in ANY beer... ain't gonna happen.

Good info Andy.

Are you still working at Stone ? I was at Limericks Tavern, Upland, enjoying a Framboise Lambic, and a Guinness Stout and a Stone rep came in there with all their tap handles getting ready for the take-over this 4-20 Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby rookie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 am

jeeper wrote:Anyone have a big, over the top double IPA recipe they would share ? I have several "per style" IPA's I brew on a regular basis that I'm very happy with, but never attempted a double

Edit.. bring on the hops. Money's no object :P

Take your favorite IPA, increase the grains by 50% and the hops by 100% and you have a double version of one you alredy know you like.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles