Another Big One... Need Recommendations on Addidtions

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Another Big One... Need Recommendations on Addidtions

Postby allnight4510 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Last September or October I brewed a big, big stout with the following ingredients:

LME from Heretic's Grave Robust Porter
3 lbs. Dark DME
Cascade Hops
Northern Brewer Hops
English Brown Chrystal Malt (Milled)
Chocolate Malt (Milled)
Black Patent Malt (Milled)
Maltodextrin
Safale S-04 Yeast
Maple Syrup
Cafe D'Vita Hot Chocolate Powder

The beer was pretty amazing. I am wanting to do another big beer and bottle age this time. Last time I did not wait long enough for the beer to carbonate. I am planning on using the same hops, same three malts, and the maltodextrin. Does anyone have any ideas as to something else I can add to the recipe?
"BEER, IT'S THE BEST DAMN DRINK IN THE WORLD"- JACK NICHOLSON
allnight4510
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Another Big One... Need Recommendations on Addidtions

Postby shecallsmeblue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:22 pm

I'd 86 the syrup and add some cold brew coffee or espresso!

**I will also note that when I make coffee stouts, I tend to avoid crystal malts, since I like the roasty flavors/aromas to stand out more with the coffee flavors/aromas. Though avoiding the crystal is not an absolute rule, it tends to work well for me.**
The Angry Cajun Brewery
----------------------------------

Primary : Northern English Brown Ale
Secondary : Pending
On Tap : Saison
Bottled : Imperial IPA
Up Next : Vienna Topaz SMaSH
shecallsmeblue
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 pm

allnight4510 wrote:The beer was pretty amazing. I am wanting to do another big beer and bottle age this time. Last time I did not wait long enough for the beer to carbonate. I am planning on using the same hops, same three malts, and the maltodextrin. Does anyone have any ideas as to something else I can add to the recipe?

It would be a challange to improve upon a Jalmil recipe. I think you should brew the same thing over but this time bottle condition it. You will find that the beer will be slightly different.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby allnight4510 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Is that a Jamil recipe? If so I feel bad and stupid... I have not looked at any of his recipes. My bad. I mean, I didn't think I was being super original, but now I feel like a copycat.
allnight4510
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:41 pm

allnight4510 wrote:Is that a Jamil recipe? If so I feel bad and stupid... I have not looked at any of his recipes. My bad. I mean, I didn't think I was being super original, but now I feel like a copycat.

"Heretic's Grave Robust Porter" I saw that and thought you brewed his kit, sorry for jumping to conclusions.
My point was to do the exact same recipe but to bottle condition it this time, sometimes it's better.
I have drank his Shallow Grave Porter, it's good! Just had his Worry http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/heretic-worry/164850/ awesome !
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby allnight4510 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Whew... No I just used the LME from that kit. Ingredients were probably very similar. I don't recall now. It was probably similar with my own additions. I'll be there first to fess up if I'm wrong though. Thought about maybe adding some raspberry or other dark fruit for a chocolate-y desert-y kind of beer. Sound terrible?
allnight4510
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles