Sweetwater IPA

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sweetwater IPA

Postby tookalisten » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I really like Sweetwater IPA during the summer - http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/ipa/

I found a clone recipe somewhere on the interwebs and just tapped the keg last night. For anyone who likes this beer, this is definitely worth brewing. Very close in flavor and aroma. I brewed 10 gallons and may turn around a brew 10 more asap. Even with my below noted hop subs, this one is close.

20 lbs 2 row
2 lbs munich
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb white wheat malt
8 oz carapils
2 oz chinook 60 mins
4 oz cascade 15 mins
2 oz fuggles 1 min
2 oz chinook 1 min
2 oz cascade dry
2 oz fuggles dry
I pitched on top of a yeast cake from a light amber that was fermented with US-05

note the original recipe called for 2 oz goldings and 2 oz simcoe at 1 min but I sub'd fuggles and chinook since I did not have simcoe and goldings. Original also called for goldings and simcoe for dry but I used cascade and fuggles. Still, this is a great IPA.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: JZ's WCB, RIS
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Sweetwater IPA

Postby pclemon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:02 am

tookalisten wrote:I really like Sweetwater IPA during the summer - http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/ipa/

I found a clone recipe somewhere on the interwebs and just tapped the keg last night. For anyone who likes this beer, this is definitely worth brewing. Very close in flavor and aroma. I brewed 10 gallons and may turn around a brew 10 more asap. Even with my below noted hop subs, this one is close.

20 lbs 2 row
2 lbs munich
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb white wheat malt
8 oz carapils
2 oz chinook 60 mins
4 oz cascade 15 mins
2 oz fuggles 1 min
2 oz chinook 1 min
2 oz cascade dry
2 oz fuggles dry
I pitched on top of a yeast cake from a light amber that was fermented with US-05

note the original recipe called for 2 oz goldings and 2 oz simcoe at 1 min but I sub'd fuggles and chinook since I did not have simcoe and goldings. Original also called for goldings and simcoe for dry but I used cascade and fuggles. Still, this is a great IPA.

Looks like a tasty beer - what was the target OG?
Pete
pclemon

Postby tookalisten » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 am

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby Sqhead » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:35 am

Love that beer and we can't find it up here in Jersey. I may have to try your recipe.
Sqhead
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 am

It is good; had a few buds over Friday eve and they all commented how close it is as well. I cant take the credit for the recipe though, I took it off the Northern Brewer forum.

Their website gives quite a bit of detail in the ingredients as well. Nice to see breweries do that.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Update - kicked the 2nd keg of this last night. This IPA went faster than any I have made before.
One note though, by the time we tapped the 2nd keg and got into it, the aroma had faded quite a bit; so this one may benefit from dry hopping in the keg. Either way, I need to brew this one again quickly.
~Robert Brault

tookalisten

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles