Session Dark IPA

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Session Dark IPA

Postby KTbrew » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I’ve got a recipe idea that I want to try some time soon. Session Dark IPA. Or I suppose you could say Session CDA. I’m sure that this idea has been done but who has experienced a really good one? My concern is getting the beer black without making it overpoweringly roasty. Any recipes or tips are welcome.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Session Dark IPA

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I use carafa II for color and don't introduce it into the mash until sparging. You get the color without all of the roast flavor.

Another option is roasted wheat malt and add up to 20% white wheat for a session IPA.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 am

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! For the love of God...as if a black IPA isn't bad enough, now somebody wants to make a low alcohol black IPA! Dude, find a new name, at least! A dark, low alcohol beer is NOT an IPA unless you consider a pig and a poodle to be the same animals.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby rplace » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am

Denny wrote:...unless you consider a pig and a poodle to be the same animals.

rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 am

wise guy....;)

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby cornixt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 am

A session IPA? How about making a lager stout too?
cornixt
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:09 am

Denny wrote:AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! For the love of God...as if a black IPA isn't bad enough, now somebody wants to make a low alcohol black IPA! Dude, find a new name, at least! A dark, low alcohol beer is NOT an IPA unless you consider a pig and a poodle to be the same animals.

Says the co-author of "Experimental Brews"..... :P

Calling a beer an "extra hoppy dark session beer" isn't really putting a label on it. Drew has recipes for "session IPA's" and I figured if he can use that term anybody can. A 4% over hopped beer doesn't fit into any catagory...
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Great, now I have a craving for bacon...
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Blonde Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Monster Mash wrote:
Denny wrote:AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! For the love of God...as if a black IPA isn't bad enough, now somebody wants to make a low alcohol black IPA! Dude, find a new name, at least! A dark, low alcohol beer is NOT an IPA unless you consider a pig and a poodle to be the same animals.

Says the co-author of "Experimental Brews"..... :P

Calling a beer an "extra hoppy dark session beer" isn't really putting a label on it. Drew has recipes for "session IPA's" and I figured if he can use that term anybody can. A 4% over hopped beer doesn't fit into any catagory...

It's not about the beer, it's about the name. I take issue with Drew, too, for calling them any sort of IPA. You're free to brew anything you want to brew, but for the sake of clarity, please give it a proper name.

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Denny wrote: You're free to brew anything you want to brew, but for the sake of clarity, please give it a proper name.

how about Beer
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Denny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Brewtime wrote:
Denny wrote: You're free to brew anything you want to brew, but for the sake of clarity, please give it a proper name.

how about Beer

Perfect!

Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Denny wrote:It's not about the beer, it's about the name. I take issue with Drew, too, for calling them any sort of IPA. You're free to brew anything you want to brew, but for the sake of clarity, please give it a proper name.

I agree if the beer is going for competition but if you label a home tap "session IPA" it pretty much sums up what it is. I understand the "I" means Imperial but without it you'd have to call it a "session Pale Ale with the hoppyness of an IPA"

Eagle Rock Brewing makes a "Black Mild" Most people would call it an English Porter because according to the BJCP guidelines it doesn't fit into the Mild category. But they brew it so the dark malts are very subtle and it tastes like a mild. When you come up with a beer that doesn't exist you have to call it something people can relate to.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:05 am

Denny wrote:A dark, low alcohol beer is NOT an IPA unless you consider a pig and a poodle to be the same animals.

Depends, what do poodlechops taste like?
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:16 am

KTbrew wrote:I’ve got a recipe idea that I want to try some time soon. Session Dark IPA. Or I suppose you could say Session CDA. I’m sure that this idea has been done but who has experienced a really good one? My concern is getting the beer black without making it overpoweringly roasty. Any recipes or tips are welcome.

I've recently brewed an IPA and a blonde ale that I took parts of and blackened. After primary was done I racked a gallon of each into seperate carboys. For the IPA I cold steeped eight ounces of midnight wheat in a quart of water, for the blonde I did four ounces of roast barley in a pint of water.
the IPA ws a real nice black color with a small amount of roastiness and the blonde turned into a dark brown color with very little roastiness: I'll use more roast barley next time.
I entered the black IPA in a homebrew compitition along with the regular IPA, the plain IPA scored 34.3 and the black version scored 40.3.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Sorry guys, I posted this and didn't have time to check your responses until now.
As for the name controversy how about this (low alcohol content, extra hoppy, dark but not too roasty American ale). Yeah, I think I'll stick with that! Because that makes way more sense than saying dark session IPA. I realize that it's not an actual stile but I assumed it was an accurate description of what I am going for.

When did we get so picky about names and crossing stylistic guidelines anyway. We are in America, the country that not only took IPA to new heights, but also invented new bastardized stiles like dark IPA, Belgian IPA, wheat IPA and triple IPA. Like it or not Session IPA is an up and coming stile. My buddy owns a brewery and his most popular beer is called session IPA. I recently saw a beer from Phoenix called a session IPA as well. They use the term because it accurately describes the flavor.

Hopefully everything has been taken in good fun because that's how I took it. :-)

All that being said, I would love to hear from people who have useful recipe advice.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles