More Beer Octoberfest Mash and Sparge temperatures

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

More Beer Octoberfest Mash and Sparge temperatures

Postby kenyabob » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I recently ordered the more beer Octoberfest all grain kit, and I am unsure what the optimal temperature to mash the grain is. I cant find it on any of the recipe sheets, or on the site. This is my first all grain recipe, and I am looking for something quite malty, so I am assuming I want to mash high, around 158 and then sparge out at 168/170, but I also dont want to really guess with my first all grain kit!

Also, we are having a bit of a hot streak where I am at right now, so it will be hard to keep this beer cool (around 50), so I am wondering if I can hold off on brewing this for 3 weeks or so since the grain is already milled. It is all sealed in plastic, so I am assuming I can get away with this if I store it a dark, cool place.
kenyabob
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: More Beer Octoberfest Mash and Sparge temperatures

Postby Denny » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:59 pm

You can definitely wait that long to brew without problem. I've gone even longer with crushed grain without issues. Just keep the grain in a relatively cool, dry place. Not fridge or freezer.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: More Beer Octoberfest Mash and Sparge temperatures

Postby dmtaylor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Keep it cool and keep it cool. I would mash at about 150 F for one hour. No need to mash higher. It will be plenty malty.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles