Murphy's Irish Stout

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Murphy's Irish Stout

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 am

Murphy's has to be my favorite Stout. First time I had it was in Ireland in 2001 and the only think I am grateful to the Heineken company for is buying and exporting it. Does anyone have a recipe for this particular kind of stout? I find that most stout recipes follow a Guinness style and Murphy's is distictly different.
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Murphy's Irish Stout

Postby alewife » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:45 am

Check out the BYO Clone magazines. They have Murphy's under the Stout section. It is different from Guinness style stouts in that there is no flaked barley, and uses some crystal and chocolate malt along with the roasted barley. Tosses some Target hops into the mix with the usual EKG's. Also uses a little drier, less fruity yeast in WLP 007 instead of the Irish Ale yeast.

Cheers,

Alewife
On Deck: Flanders Red

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink: Harri's Tudor 1504 Ale; Irish Heavy, Dobby's Magic Belgian Dark

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2015 and 2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 am

I prefer Murphy's over Guinness. The Murphy's homebrew recipe is in the book Clone Brews.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 am

I found one in the BYO magazine. I'll look for the other. If I can brew this at home and it taste just as good, I'll be in heaven.
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby terrystrickl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:09 am

I think it is in the stickies at the top of this section. I think you can find it in there, I am not clicking through the pages.
terrystrickl
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles