Kolsch anyone?

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kolsch anyone?

Postby tookalisten » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I had a Kolsch on tap from a local brewery tonight with dinner and it was soooo good. I have not had a Kolsch on tap in forever.
Anyone have a go-to recipe? Otherwise, I will use JZ's BCS.

Thanks in advance!
Took
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
Kegged: JZ's WCB, RIS, Two Hearted Ale, Brown Moose Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Kolsch anyone?

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:01 am

Kolsch is my favorite light beer style, never can get enough. I made my Kolsch after JZ's recipe and it was fantastic, even medaled in comp. I boiled 90 min, used WLP029, pitch and ferment at 60F.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby alewife » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Just FYI. Major's Kolsch recipe is in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26991&hilit=majorvices+kolsch+recipe&start=15

Good discussion, too.
On Deck: Irish Heavy, Mother Bunch's Holiday Porter, Dobby's Magic (like Mad Elf)

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink:

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby NonHopHead » Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 am

I also love Kolsch. I used to live in St. Louis and got hooked on Kolsch at Schlafly.

I read the thread quoted for Major's Kolsch and now I want to try it with Vienna. Unlike that recipe's use of Vienna, I make mine with 10-15% Schill Kolsch Malt (and i also tend to use less wheat; 5% typical). It would be interesting to see how different the Vienna and Kolsch malts really are.
NonHopHead
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Bringing this back.

Got my grains weighed out over the weekend and went to the LHBS store today and they did not have any Kolsch yeast (2565); only German Ale (1007) - (they only sell Wyeast). I picked up the German Ale as I like that yeast for other styles and will eventually use it.

Should I use the 1007 for the planned Kolsch, or just order the appropriate yeast from our good hosts here?
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 pm

tookalisten wrote:Bringing this back.

Got my grains weighed out over the weekend and went to the LHBS store today and they did not have any Kolsch yeast (2565); only German Ale (1007) - (they only sell Wyeast). I picked up the German Ale as I like that yeast for other styles and will eventually use it.

Should I use the 1007 for the planned Kolsch, or just order the appropriate yeast from our good hosts here?

OK - quoting myself here.
I decided to order the 2565 and will plan to make 10 gallons. Pitch 1007 for one and 2565 for the other. Good experiment; will keep everyone updated.
Though, I have another brew in line before the Kolsch - I am off next week so maybe get both brew days in.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Ya, you have to use Kolsch yeast, otherwise it's not a Kolsch.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby tookalisten » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 pm

OK next steps for your seasoned Kolsch brewers -

Smelled great and tasted good out of the fermentor. Racked to a keg and now have it sitting connected to CO2 at 36F. It is still a little cloudy - as we know Kolsch yeast can be. Will leaving at 36F be cold enough to help clear (that is as low as my kegerator will go.)? I do have the option of putting in my temp controlled freezer and pushing down close to 32F; but is that needed?

Thought I would give it at least 2 weeks before checking again - is that long enough?

I'm not against drinking a cloudy Kolsch; but hoping to clear it up some. I'm also not against using some gelatin; but hoped to clear with time/temp first.

Thanks
T
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:08 pm

tookalisten wrote:OK next steps for your seasoned Kolsch brewers -

Smelled great and tasted good out of the fermentor. Racked to a keg and now have it sitting connected to CO2 at 36F. It is still a little cloudy - as we know Kolsch yeast can be. Will leaving at 36F be cold enough to help clear (that is as low as my kegerator will go.)? I do have the option of putting in my temp controlled freezer and pushing down close to 32F; but is that needed?

Thought I would give it at least 2 weeks before checking again - is that long enough?

I'm not against drinking a cloudy Kolsch; but hoping to clear it up some. I'm also not against using some gelatin; but hoped to clear with time/temp first.

Thanks
T

It may take a month or two to clear up at 36F. I would use gelatin, that stuff works!
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby Brewtime » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 am

turbo_ale wrote:
tookalisten wrote:OK next steps for your seasoned Kolsch brewers -

Thanks
T

It may take a month or two to clear up at 36F. I would use gelatin, that stuff works!

second on the gelatin. I need to brew mine for the beach
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:24 am

It took a little over a month to clear for us without gelatin and we added gelatin on this last batch and it cleared right up quick.
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby tookalisten » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Gelatin it is. Thanks!
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Postby tookalisten » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Update - ended up using BCS's Kolsch recipe with Wyeast 2565. Cleared beautifully with gelatin. I shared some with a few friends this weekend and they said it was one of the best beers I have ever made. I saved the yeast cake so really need to brew this one again right away.

Must keep this on tap through the summer. Thanks for all the advice.
~Robert Brault

Primary:
tookalisten

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles