Brewing with Rhubarb.

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Brewing with Rhubarb.

Postby MmmmBeer » Fri May 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Has anyone done it? I have an idea for a Strawberry/Rhubarb Wheat beer using the Morebeer American Wheat all grain kit. I thought of making a rhubarb puree with the rhubarb and sweetening it and adding it during the boil and then making a strawberry puree and adding it during secondary. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I might add this will also be my first all grain recipe and my first brew in about two years.
"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go"
-Indy-
MmmmBeer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Brewing with Rhubarb.

Postby Brewtime » Sat May 17, 2014 6:25 am

MmmmBeer wrote:Has anyone done it? I have an idea for a Strawberry/Rhubarb Wheat beer using the Morebeer American Wheat all grain kit. I thought of making a rhubarb puree with the rhubarb and sweetening it and adding it during the boil and then making a strawberry puree and adding it during secondary. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I might add this will also be my first all grain recipe and my first brew in about two years.

I don't think sweetening the rhubarb would do anything the sugar would ferment out anyway. I would add the rhubarb to the boil at the end and the strawberries in the secondary like you said
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby alewife » Sat May 17, 2014 9:04 am

Yes, and expect the rhubarb to add tartness and bitterness. Personally, while I enjoy strawberry rhubarb pie, I'm wary about experimenting with rhubarb in beer. That tartness and bitterness would probably take several trials to get a balance you like. Maybe some lactose would add a bit of background sweetness??? Have fun with it.

Alewife

Also, be aware that the rhubarb leaves are poisonous (oxalic acid). Although you would have to eat a lot of them to actually die, you might still get sick! So,watch how you handle the plant, and that no leaves get into your rhubarb mixture.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/poison
On Deck: Flanders Red

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink: Harri's Tudor 1504 Ale; Irish Heavy, Dobby's Magic Belgian Dark

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2015 and 2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu May 22, 2014 12:51 pm

I think rhubarb might do well in a sour but if you aren't looking for a sour beer you may want to try it in a very small batch.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby BrewBum » Thu May 22, 2014 12:57 pm

I so want to make a rhubarb berliner wiesse
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Postby turbo_ale » Thu May 22, 2014 5:53 pm

BrewBum wrote:I so want to make a rhubarb berliner wiesse

Rhubarb & a sour Berliner Weisse, awesome combo :!:
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Wild Bill » Fri May 23, 2014 5:18 pm

BrewBum wrote:I so want to make a rhubarb berliner wiesse

I kegged half of my Berliner last week. I've got a friend that has convinced me to make some rhubarb syrup for added sweetness and complexity. Maybe it will make the cut and some of you will see it at NHC. We'll see.

I agree with others, I think it would be difficult to actually brew with it. Not impossible but maybe do small batches at first to help get it dialed in.
Wild Bill
Keg (750 posts)

Postby bababa3216 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info
sbobet online
bababa3216
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles