Black IPA

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black IPA

Postby maybock » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Hey dudes, I am wanting to brew a black IPA. I've got a simple IPA recipe and want to throw in some roasted barley or Carafa III. But my main question is about the water. I'll use the standard Burton profile, but does anyone think I should throw in a bit more calcium carbonate to balance out with the roasted grains? I'd hate to have a Black IPA go overly acidic....

Anyone?
" I want you to get up now... I want all of you to get up out of your chairs...I want you to get up right now, go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell: " I'm as mad as hell, and I am not going to take this anymore!" ".
maybock
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Black IPA

Postby CA_Mouse » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Just a note on BIPAs. I did one at the end of last year that was well received (except in competition). I went with a chocolate porter base and the porter competed with the hops too much. My brother did a stout base and, while also very nice, competed with itself a bit too much. My suggestion is to make sure, more than anything, that your flavors don't compete too much. If you have a really nice IPA that you like, try to find a way to incorporate color rather than flavor. I intend to revisit mine this season and add Carafa III during the sparge only.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 am

Perhaps you have already brewed this an its to late now. Either way, my preference for BIPA’s is to use a small amount of de-bittered dark malt in the mash and cold steep about a pound of malt such as blackprinz, carafa or midnight wheat in the mash water. The dark malt flavors are more subtle than some but I like it and it avoids acidity from dark malts.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:41 am

CA_Mouse wrote:Just a note on BIPAs. I did one at the end of last year that was well received (except in competition). I went with a chocolate porter base and the porter competed with the hops too much. My brother did a stout base and, while also very nice, competed with itself a bit too much. My suggestion is to make sure, more than anything, that your flavors don't compete too much. If you have a really nice IPA that you like, try to find a way to incorporate color rather than flavor. I intend to revisit mine this season and add Carafa III during the sparge only.

There's a brewery in the northeast (Smuttynose) that the last couple of years has brewed a highly hopped porter. IMO this was a VERY different beer than a black IPA. It wasn't bad, but it had a lot more mouthfeel & roastiness than what a black IPA should be IMO.

I've had some black IPA's that taste almost exactly like a normal IPA but they're darker. The ones I enjoy though are those that have just a subtle acidic bite from the grain that plays off the hop bitterness. As far as adding additional CACO3, I probably would start off not doing it since the quantity of Carafa III that you're likely to add isn't much.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Glynis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:41 am

I want to ask everyone. Do you know how to do make home made black IPA. Actually i like IPA. Just i need to know it's making process.
Glynis
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:42 am

Take any IPA or IIPA recipe that you like. I would just add maybe 4 oz of Black Barley to the sparge if you are doing all grain, or maybe 8 oz to the steep if you are doing extract with specialty grains.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby rookie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I did some experimenting a while ago and got the most black with the least roastiness using midnight wheat in an overnight cold steep.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby szczurolapka » Sun May 17, 2015 5:45 pm

for lack IPA i use normal IPA ingrediens and only a little roasted malt for color and I like the effect :D
szczurolapka
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles