Leines Honey Weiss Clone

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Leines Honey Weiss Clone

Postby whatevrworks » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:21 pm

I am fairly new to brewing, I have done several extract brews with good results and now and looking to expand into some different challenges. One of my favorite beers is the Leines Honey Weiss. Anyone have a clone recipe for this?

Thanks,

David
whatevrworks
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Leines Honey Weiss Clone

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:20 pm

ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Leines Honey Weiss Clone

Postby dmtaylor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 am

This recipe will get you very close. This is an all-grain beer. You won't be able to get a good clone with all extract. You might be able to swing a successful partial mash by substitution of half the base malt with extract. However, with a small batch of a small beer, you can mash the whole thing on your kitchen stovetop BIAB style very easily anyway.

This is for 3 gallons. If you want more, scale it up.

OG=1.043
ABV=4.2%
IBU=13
SRM=3.5

2.4 lb American 2-row
1 lb Pilsner malt
0.5 lb wheat malt
0.25 lb Gambrinus honey malt
1 tsp calcium chloride (mash)
0.4 oz Tettnanger (60 minutes)
0.1 oz Tettnanger (15 minutes)
0.5 tsp Irish moss (15 minutes)
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient (15 minutes)
0.38 lb honey (clover or basswood, flameout)
W-34/70 yeast
5 gallons distilled water

Use all distilled water for this beer but add calcium chloride to the mash. Mash at 150 F for 45 minutes. Infuse with all the sparge water BEFORE runoff to perform a minimal "batch sparge". Boil 75 minutes, adding hops, moss, yeast nutrient, and honey per schedule. Chill, aerate, pitch and ferment at about 50 F for about 2 weeks. Then bring down to 35 F to lager for about a month. Prime with 1/2 cup sugar and bottle. Allow about 3 weeks before drinking.

It's worked for me.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles