Head on my beer

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Head on my beer

Postby Wjndyridge » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:00 pm

I have been brewing my beer for three years useing the Brew kit in tins I have used brewing sugar brew enhanser and malt extract. The taste is fine its clear to start with the head is fine but after 2 or 3 minutes the head has gone the beer is not flat but will not cling to the glass as a good beer should. Advice from my lkearned friends most welcome.
Wjndyridge
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Head on my beer

Postby Denny » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:20 am

There can be several reasons for that.

1.) Your glasses may not be "beer clean". Dampen the inside of the glass and pour some salt on the sides. Scrub it around thoroughly then rinse. see if that improves things.

2.) Recipe can be a factor. For one thing, extract tends to have less protein (protein helps from foam) because the extract has already been boiled. Adding some grain, like crustal malt, can help that.

3.) Hoppier beers will have better foam. The polyphenols in the hops bind the proteins in the beer and help create head.

4.) Most people don't realize that fermentation plays a big role. Pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast and maintaining a correct fermentation temp will help a lot. This article explains it, as well as having tests you can do to help you diagnose your problem....http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/ ... techniques
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Head on my beer

Postby Mike_ » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:43 am

then when you do fix it, its time to show it off!!! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43092

ON TAP:Red Rye Ale 11/15/15 5% 15 gals
Ferming:
Next up:??????

Wine in bottle: 0 Aging in oak barrels: Cab Franc 195gallons

Don't fear the foam!!! (starsan foam that is)
Mike_
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles