B3 All Grain Recipe Collection

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re:

Postby TwoBeers » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 am

How did this recipe turn out?? Let me know if you would please, I would like to try it. Thanks.

Mark wrote:John Maier's Rogue I2PA

15lbs Marris Otter

1oz Newport (60min)
1oz Cascade (30min)
1oz Sterling (15min)
1oz Amarillo (dry hop)

WLP001 California Ale/Wyeast 1056

John recommends aging for 6-9 months in order for it to fully round out.
Loving Beer, But Hating To Pay For It.
TwoBeers
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re: B3 All Grain Recipe Collection

Postby jellybelly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Chibacity lists the yeast for Double Barrel Ale as California Ale but B3 recommends English Ale WLP 005? that is how I Brewed it. By the way, the recommmended amount of oak chips to be used is overkill on this kit.......I recommend less, but I am no guru.
jellybelly
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby TwoBeers » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 am

Does anyone know how it turned out?
TwoBeers
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re:

Postby TwoBeers » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm assuming this is a 5 gal batch and also I was wondering if you can use good ol' Quaker Oates for this?

Mark wrote:B3 Witbier

10.5lbs 2-row
1.5lbs flaked wheat
1.0lb flaked oats

1.0oz Hallertauer (60min)
1.0oz Saaz (5min)

1.0oz Corriander seed (added for the last few minutes of the boil)
1.0oz Bitter orange peel (added for the last few minutes of the boil)

WLP400 Belgian Wit or equivalent yeast
TwoBeers
6 Pack (200 posts)

Re:

Postby TwoBeers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Do you remember how this beer turned out....what would you do different?
Supersloth wrote:B3 Irish Red Ale

GRAIN
9 Ibs. 2-Row
1 Ibs. Crystal(120L)
8 oz. Aromatic
8 oz. Caramunich
2 oz. Black Roasted
2 oz. Special B

HOPS
1 oz. Magnum(60 min.)
2 oz. Willamette(Last 5 min. of boil)

WATER TREATMENT
1 pkg. Whirfloc(Last 20min. of boil)

4oz. Corn Sugar(For Bottling)
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

PS: YUMMY! :D :D
TwoBeers
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Conroe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:01 pm

I've brewed the Irish Red twice. Back when I bought it it came with two oz of Glacier for bittering but I only used one. I think the high IBUs and late additions put it out of style. Still I really enjoyed this beer.
Conroe
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby hwasone » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:03 pm

you can use quaker oats as long as there isn't anything weird added to 'em (been a while since i bought anything but bulk oats)
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby jeeper » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Anyone have the skyscraper honeyweizen recipe from B-3's brewmasters series ?
Jeff
jeeper
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MaltnHopsrGood » Tue May 03, 2011 8:15 pm

CITRA PALE ALE

GRAIN
12 Ibs. Rahr 2-Row
12 oz. Crystal(15L)
8 oz. White Wheat
8 oz. Carapils

HOPS
.5 oz. Magnum(60 min.)
1 oz. Citra (15 min.)
1 oz. Citra (5 min.)
1 oz. Citra (Dry hopped)

WATER TREATMENT

US-05 Yeast
Bottled: Nothing
Keg #1: Nothing
Keg #2: IPA
Keg #3: Hallertau 2-Row SMASH
Keg #4: Hallertau 2-Row SMASH
Fermenting: Nothing
Next On Deck: IPA
Brewed in 2017: 30 gallons
MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue May 03, 2011 9:24 pm

MaltnHopsrGood wrote:CITRA PALE ALE
GRAIN
12 Ibs. Rahr 2-Row
12 oz. Crystal(15L)
8 oz. White Wheat
8 oz. Carapils
HOPS
.5 oz. Magnum(60 min.)
1 oz. Citra (15 min.)
1 oz. Citra (5 min.)
1 oz. Citra (Dry hopped)
WATER TREATMENT
US-05 Yeast

This is my first all-grain kit, brewed it this prior Saturday, and the aroma is fantastic coming from the carboy. The ferment is so robust this morning the airlock filled up with foam, even though the temp is set at 65-66 using thermowell/probe. I pulled the airlock and have installed a blowoff tube. I am going to try in the next 24 hours dry hopping in the primary. I have read that many around here use this method rather than going dry hop in secondary.

The est. OG is 1.050 - 1.055, I got 1.0693. Besides the obvious of a high potential alc. content, what happened during the brew process, was it caused by high efficiency sparging ?
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 am

turbo_ale wrote:The est. OG is 1.050 - 1.055, I got 1.0693. Besides the obvious of a high potential alc. content, what happened during the brew process, was it caused by high efficiency sparging ?

More than likely, yes. Recipes are usually centered around a 70 or 75% efficiency. Sounds like yours was higher - or you ended up with a volume less than intended in the recipe. This is where brewing software comes in handy - and why, after a few standard recipes, people tend to start buying bulk ingredients and putting together the recipe themselves. Your IBU:GU ratio will now be different than the intended recipe unless you adjusted your hopping schedule.

I don't know if it's because I use foam control in my boil kettle but since I've been able to actively manage ferment temperatures, US-05 has never given me a blow-off. Vigorous ferment, yes - but krausen never in the airlock (5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy).
Pete
pclemon

Postby turbo_ale » Wed May 04, 2011 11:21 am

pclemon wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:The est. OG is 1.050 - 1.055, I got 1.0693. Besides the obvious of a high potential alc. content, what happened during the brew process, was it caused by high efficiency sparging ?

More than likely, yes. Recipes are usually centered around a 70 or 75% efficiency. Sounds like yours was higher - or you ended up with a volume less than intended in the recipe. This is where brewing software comes in handy

I don't know if it's because I use foam control in my boil kettle but since I've been able to actively manage ferment temperatures, US-05 has never given me a blow-off. Vigorous ferment, yes - but krausen never in the airlock (5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy).

No, I had to tip the kettle to get to my 5 gallon mark on the 6.5 carboy. My wort level in the brew kettle was at 6.75 gal, that's what I always used when doing extract. But after this all-grain brew I need to readjust my start level at 7.25 gallons of wort, this should give me 5.0 gallons of wort without tipping the kettle to avoid trub. When doing past extract brews and adding malt extract to 6.75 gallons of water, the level was as high as I dare. I do use foam control in the brew kettle. Another idea would be to add some foam control in the primary to keep the krausen in control. I thought I had my ferments under control, pitching at 65F, level of wort in carboy exactly at 5 gal mark, ETC set at 65 using a 1 degree dwell. I think the overflow now is because of the high gravity content and the yeast is very happy ? I also oxygenated the wort for 1.5 minutes.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby turbo_ale » Wed May 04, 2011 11:31 am

pclemon wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:what happened during the brew process, was it caused by high efficiency sparging ?

This is where brewing software comes in handy - and why, after a few standard recipes, people tend to start buying bulk ingredients and putting together the recipe themselves. Your IBU:GU ratio will now be different than the intended recipe unless you adjusted your hopping schedule.

I just got the Beer Smith program and learning as I go. After the FG number is obtain, will Beer Smith calc. out the efficiency % of the sparge ? I have my program set at 75%, if it comes in different I need to change the number, right.
Because the gravity is .014 higher to start with, what will this do, make the hop/malt weaker that it should be?
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby pclemon » Wed May 04, 2011 11:56 am

turbo_ale wrote:
pclemon wrote:
turbo_ale wrote:what happened during the brew process, was it caused by high efficiency sparging ?

This is where brewing software comes in handy - and why, after a few standard recipes, people tend to start buying bulk ingredients and putting together the recipe themselves. Your IBU:GU ratio will now be different than the intended recipe unless you adjusted your hopping schedule.

I just got the Beer Smith program and learning as I go. After the FG number is obtain, will Beer Smith calc. out the efficiency % of the sparge ? I have my program set at 75%, if it comes in different I need to change the number, right.
Because the gravity is .014 higher to start with, what will this do, make the hop/malt weaker that it should be?

First of all - on that Cirtra pale ale recipe I don't get how they're suggesting the OG ona 5 gallon batch should have been 1.055. 13.75 pounds of grain, ~36PPG at 70% eff. would calculate out to ~1.069 OG (very close to what you got).

As for BeerSmith - Others may do differently, but this is how I use it:

I keep a source inventory of recipes and copy these out to my brew log as I actually make them - that way the original intended recipe is preserved.

Scale the recipe to whatever volume and efficiency you think you might be getting. The program will adjust the grainbill and hop quantities. On the brew sheet it will tell you your volumes to use for sparging, what your starting boil volume should be as well as your pre-boil gravity. If your reading for the OG is different you can click the button for "efficiency" and put in your reading along with your pre-boil volume and it will tell you what your actually eff. is.

You then have a few options -

If your actual eff was less than intended:

1. Write down your intended post boil OG, change the efficiency in the box on the recipe to your actual efficiency and then add DME to the recipe list and see how much it takes to get back to intended OG (leave hop quantities alone).

2. Calculate out how much extra you would need to boil off to get to your intended post-boil OG. This requires you to know your boil-off rate. Because you'll end up with a smaller volume you'll need to adjust your hop quantities to maintain the IBU:GU ratio.

3. Leave everything as-is and just reduce the hop quantities to maintain the IBU:GU. It'll be a slightly different beer but may be better than the original.

If your actual eff was more than intended:

1. Use the tool to calculate out how much water you would need to add to get to the correct pre-boil OG. you'll be making more wort, and will therefore need to adjust your hop quantities.

2. Leave the wort alone and adjust hop quantities to maintain IBU:GU ratio.

Of course there is always the option to not make any adjustements. :) Which is what I do unless I REALLY miss my eff. for some reason. If it's different by 3-4 points I don't worry about it.

If I missed something above I'm sure someone will chime in.
Pete
pclemon

Postby turbo_ale » Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 pm

pclemon wrote:First of all - on that Cirtra pale ale recipe I don't get how they're suggesting the OG ona 5 gallon batch should have been 1.055. 13.75 pounds of grain, ~36PPG at 70% eff. would calculate out to ~1.069 OG (very close to what you got).

As for BeerSmith - Others may do differently, but this is how I use it:

I keep a source inventory of recipes and copy these out to my brew log as I actually make them - that way the original intended recipe is preserved.

Scale the recipe to whatever volume and efficiency you think you might be getting. The program will adjust the grainbill and hop quantities. On the brew sheet it will tell you your volumes to use for sparging, what your starting boil volume should be as well as your pre-boil gravity. If your reading for the OG is different you can click the button for "efficiency" and put in your reading along with your pre-boil volume and it will tell you what your actually eff. is.

You then have a few options -

If your actual eff was less than intended:

1. Write down your intended post boil OG, change the efficiency in the box on the recipe to your actual efficiency and then add DME to the recipe list and see how much it takes to get back to intended OG (leave hop quantities alone).

2. Calculate out how much extra you would need to boil off to get to your intended post-boil OG. This requires you to know your boil-off rate. Because you'll end up with a smaller volume you'll need to adjust your hop quantities to maintain the IBU:GU ratio.

3. Leave everything as-is and just reduce the hop quantities to maintain the IBU:GU. It'll be a slightly different beer but may be better than the original.

If your actual eff was more than intended:

1. Use the tool to calculate out how much water you would need to add to get to the correct pre-boil OG. you'll be making more wort, and will therefore need to adjust your hop quantities.

2. Leave the wort alone and adjust hop quantities to maintain IBU:GU ratio.

Of course there is always the option to not make any adjustements. :) Which is what I do unless I REALLY miss my eff. for some reason. If it's different by 3-4 points I don't worry about it.

If I missed something above I'm sure someone will chime in.

Damm, this will take me awhile to digest all of this info and understand it, thanks.

My OG number after boil 1.0693

Interesting, the B3 brew sheet, Kit # 551 Citra Pale Ale, (5 gal, All-Grain) specs are:
Est. OG 1.050 - 1.055
Est. SRM 5-7
Est. IBU's 45-48
Est. ABV% 5-5.5

The numbers I put in Beer Smith came up with this:
Est. OG 1.071 (1.045-1.060)
Est. FG 1.016 (1.010-1.015)
Est. SRM 7.2 (5.0-14.0)
Est. IBU's 44.3 (30.0-45.0)
Est. ABV 7.21 (4.50-6.00)
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles