Malt Beverage Recipe like Smirnoff Ice

Discuss your favorite recipes here. Ask for tips on brewing certain beer styles.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Malt Beverage Recipe like Smirnoff Ice

Postby patolucas » Mon May 24, 2004 10:58 am

Hi, I saw about the beverage like Smirnoff Ice are made with malt base, and use the same process like beer, but without hops ... some one know about recipes for this kind of beer (or beverage).

Thanks.
patolucas
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Mon May 24, 2004 12:49 pm

It's a waste of time trying to make an alcopop. First, you need specialized equipment to do it, and second, it's a waste of time. Brew yourself a nice beer instead.
Triple Freak

Postby Drew » Mon May 24, 2004 1:11 pm

It's not really brewing, but the best way to make one of these sorts of beverages is as follows:

1) Purchase inexpensive vodka
2) Dilute to the appropriate % alcohol
3) Add desired flavoring
4) Force carbonate

To actually 'brew' something like this is, as Triple Freak mentioned, far too involved to be worth the effort. You would need to invest in some serious filtering equipment to do a decent job of removing all of the malt character from the beer. The breweries only do this to get around the extra taxes on distilled spirits.
One thing you might look into would be an alcoholic ginger beer. That would give you the soda-like quality in a brewed beverage, though the recipes I recall didn't have any barley malt in them. You could also give mead a try. It will have a lot more character than Smirnoff's, but it might be close to what you're looking for
Drew
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Mon May 24, 2004 2:23 pm

I agree with the Mead idea. If you want to make something women like then Mead is the ticket, if you can wait a year. It tastes better than Smirnoff Ice and its very easy to make.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Mr Peat » Tue May 25, 2004 7:56 am

I will have to agree on this one. It is a WASTE of time. I brewed a Hard Lemonade. It came out ok but it was a nice experience to add under my belt. Would I try it again, maybe. Rather brew a Apple Cyser or a Mead than that stuff. I popped open one of my Apple Cyser's that is 11.7% ABV and was feeling nice and relaxed. Didnt have alot of carbonation since I just bottled it the other day and the priming sugar took the hot alcohol taste way.

Do yourself a favor. Brew beers and or meads instead. :P
Mr Peat
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Pennywise » Fri May 28, 2004 3:14 pm

I make hard lemonade all the time for my wife and her friends.

It is not a waste of time, well maybe 30 minutes. Big deal. Keeps them out of my precious brew.
Pennywise
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby T2driver » Fri May 28, 2004 3:20 pm

Triplefreak wrote:"alcopop"

Pennywise wrote:Keeps them out of my precious brew.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"So laugh, lads, and quaff, lads,
Twill make yous tout and hale;
Through all my days, I'll sing the praise
Of Brown October ale."

Song from Robin Hood, by Reginald De Koven
T2driver
Keg (750 posts)

Postby bmalnad » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:19 pm

Pennywise wrote:I make hard lemonade all the time for my wife and her friends.

It is not a waste of time, well maybe 30 minutes. Big deal. Keeps them out of my precious brew.

Can you post a recipe?
bmalnad
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles