Making bread with ale yeast

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Making bread with ale yeast

Postby Brewmeisterbob » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 am

I am about to bottle another great IPA. On the bottom of the fermenter is going to be a great deal of yeast. What to do? How about I take a teaspoon or two and add it to a bread recipe? Anybody ever tried this? Any suggestion on the amount of yeast to use? If anybody actually has a recipe feel free to share.
Brewmeisterbob
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby alewife » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:57 pm

I've not done this, but I would make a bread yeast starter with the ale yeast and then use that in a bread recipe were I to try this. Essentially that's making a thick flour/water slurry, adding yeast, and letting it stand, covered at room temperature while it proofs, for a period of time, etc. -- much like you do with a sour dough starter. How the yeast will taste in bread, I have no idea, may be good, may be horrible!

Anyone actually done this??? Alewife
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:03 pm

My neighbor is a professional Baker I give him the yeast after frementation all the time, The belgians strains make the best bread :D
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby alewife » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Why am I not surprised!!! :) Thanks, Droodles! :) May try this!

Alewife
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Kinsman » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:47 am

I maintain cultures for all my baking and I had the same thought.
Made a starter with flour and water, and some 1056 that I had been using for my House IPA.

I'm not sure why but the starter and the bread were both horrible. I may have had an infection or something, but I keep bread and beer cultures going routinely. I am pretty good with sanitation.

I may try it again....although I am very very happy with my bread (pizza!) culture. I think it might be best to keep ale cultures for ales and bread cultures for bread.
Chris
Long Riders Bar~B~Que
Kinsman
6 Pack (200 posts)

Return to Fermented Foods