Kraut Spices

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kraut Spices

Postby majkeli » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:35 am

I just opened up a batch of Kraut the I had fermented with some juniper berries, but I can't tell any difference from my typical kraut. I put in about 1/8 of a cup of dried berries in 7.5 liters of kraut which seemed like a lot compared to recipes I've seen. I even left it in the crock for 3 months and still can't tell they were in there.

Has anyone had an success with spice additives actually making a difference in the kraut flavor? Or is the kraut too strong to notice any additives?

Thanks!
Mike

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline--it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa
majkeli
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:54 am

I'm 1/2 German, and I've eaten Sauerkraut since I was a small child.
I have never heard of adding juniper berries to it, EVER. Juniper berries are the main ingredient in gin.
The only thing I've ever heard of adding to kraut is caraway seeds, and then only in moderation. Where did you hear of adding juniper berries to kraut?
Triple Freak

Postby majkeli » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:21 pm

I've seen many recipes that suggest juniper berries. The particular one I was referencing for this batch is from the booklet that came with my harsch crock. Here's a snippet:

You can also flavor the cabbage with spices such as juniper berries,
caraway or dill or fruits such as apples or pineapple.

I don't know about pineapple, but when I cook my kraut I usually add some apple. If you put a whole apple in your kraut for a week or two after the kraut's done it gets pretty tasty, and stays crunchy. That's something you need to try if you never have.

At any rate I'm not sure the juniper did anything, at most it may have added a little bitterness that really isn't welcome in kraut in my opinion. Live and learn, it's still a pretty tasty batch of kraut. I'm going to do a batch of cauliflower and carrots next.
Mike

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline--it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa
majkeli
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Stein » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:42 am

I used to eat kraut as a meal, like spaghetti when I was young. I don't know what was in there, or what juniper berries are, but it had something that looked like whole peppercorns. Could those have been juniper berries? That kraut was made by my relatives from former Yugoslavia.

I can't remember what it tasted like, I had a 10 year no homemade kraut dryspell.
Stein
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:03 pm

It could have been juniper berries. They look like big black peppercorns.
Or, very small, very hard blueberries. :lol:
Triple Freak

Return to Fermented Foods