Pickled Eggs

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby chunk1227 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:34 am

yeah, eggs can be hell on the GI tract to begin with. You add the hotness factor to that and it can make for some painful talks with nature. I try to limit myself to only two of these eggs at a time.
chunk
chunk1227
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Pickled Eggs

Postby miketina4ever » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:26 am

I make pickled eggs all the time. My father was in the navy and he worked in the club all the time to make extra money. He always sold pickled eggs. My 2 brother and I would help mom peel the eggs and she would make them. I am talking lots of eggs at least 5 or 6 dozens a day. He perfected the recipe over the years. I make them now for the local bar down the road. They give me all the money also, because it makes the customers drink more beer ha ha. The money is very good, a lot more than you would think. I make at least 15 to 20 dollars a day profit. I have to make sure to plan ahead and to make the owner happy if there is any problems, but it is easy money. This is a good project for a responsible child to make money. I did this when I was in highschool instead of putting up hay and made a lot more money at it too. Mike
miketina4ever
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:11 pm

chunk1227 wrote:yeah, eggs can be hell on the GI tract to begin with. You add the hotness factor to that and it can make for some painful talks with nature. I try to limit myself to only two of these eggs at a time.
chunk

Chuck eat a bowl of ice cream after the two eggs. Then when Nature calls pray fotr the Ice cream :twisted: :twisted:
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: Pickled Eggs

Postby gfoster » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:24 pm

miketina4ever wrote:I make pickled eggs all the time.

Care to share your recipe/techniques? I for one would love to see it (I love pickled eggs).

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby Bender » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:13 pm

This might sound odd, but whenever my family wants pickled eggs, we open a can of beets, throw out the beets, and put the hard boiled eggs in the pickled beet juice with some cider vinager and let them sit for about a week. They're purple, but they taste great. :P
Bender: "Well, well, baby wants a Zima."
Leela: "Hey, hey. We can all fight when we are drunk. Now listen. Why don't we just brew our own beer?"
Bender: "You can brew your own beer?"
Leela: "Sure. The kids at the orphanarium used to do it all the time."
Bender
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby mr.so.brewer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:16 pm

So I have heard of an oyster stout.

WHo wants to be the first to make a pickled egg stout or better yet a pickled egg cream ale. :P
mr.so.brewer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby goater » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:47 pm

pickled eggs are great ... I like both the classic "with beets" and the spicy kinds with jalapenos etc.

We use our banty eggs .. nice size for pickled eggs
goater
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby chaostheory » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 pm

I often make pickled eggs to give as holiday gifts...well, those I don't eat before Christmas anyway. I tend to make a huge batch-I get a case of eggs 144, one gross =a dozen dozen !
I find that about 10 eggs will fit in a Quart Mason jar, so after adding the hot liquid and flavorings ie dill,garlic, a dried hot pepper or more-I process the sealed filled jars in a boiling water bath for 20 mins.
Not only does this allow the eggs to be stored at room temp for up to a year, it really helps push the flavor into the deepest depths of the egg. Any protein substance usually needs to be heated in a pressure cooker....but with the acid content and the high salt content, botulism isn't a problem.
One important thing I have learned--------DO NOT USE FRESH EGGS !!!
I buy the case, and leave it refrigerated for 1 week, because fresh eggs do not peel easily after being boiled. Unless you want to eat lots of egg salad sandwiches, let the eggs age before boiling :)
chaostheory
Taster Glass (2 posts)

great pickled egg recipe

Postby adrucker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:12 am

different egg snack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having gotten tired of eating plain hardboiled eggs, here is a recipe for pickled eggs with a quick. They are tasty, and good for a snack on the run.

The recipe will make 3 dozen eggs:

3 dozen hardboiled eggs (cook and have shelled)

in a large pot, put in the following:
1 quart distilled white vinegar
1 sliced onion
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1 Tablespoon Dill seed
1 Tablespoon black pepper corns
1 Tablespoon celery seed
a few dashes of red pepper flakes
6 cloves of garlic
2 16oz. jars of jalapenos with the juices.

Boil the ingredients in the pot for 15 minutes. While cooking place the shelled eggs into glass jars, when the mixture is done boiling, pour into the jars over the eggs, if there is not enough vinegar mixture to fill the jars, add some hot water. Then place the tops on, and put in the refrigerator for 7 days so they can absorb the flavors.
adrucker
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby BombShelterBrewer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:11 am

Like more things fermented, pickled eggs get better with time. My best batch sat 6 months in a dark closet in the basement before I tried them. I used garlic wine vingar and loads of fresh garlic, most people who tried it thought it tasted like salami.

Try using balsamic vinegar for a good twist, after about two months the eggs look like dark brown glass.

I try to keep the process and ingredient list short and simple and usually just end up adding 3-4 fresh habenero peppers and a couple of cloves of garlic to each quart jar. The jars are then moved to the basement to age for atleast 1 month.

I usually put them in fridge 1 day prior to eating.
BombShelterBrewer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby HotCookCpl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 am

In the two recipes posted there isn't any salt. Should salt be added? Thanks.
"We find in life exactly what we out into it." -EMERSON

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage
HotCookCpl
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby BeerGeek » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 am

Does anyone have recipes without spicy peppers? I'm interested in trying to make pickled eggs, but I'm not to keen on the intense spicyness of jalapenos /habaneros.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm... BEER
Batches Brewed: 9
Currently Fermenting : 1st Mead, Belgian Dark Strong Ale
BeerGeek
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby HotCookCpl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 am

Yes, I used adrucker recipe, but I didn't have the peppers so I simply didn't use them. I wish I had added a little salt though. The eggs came out a lot like the ones we get at of the local pubs.

Good luck.
"We find in life exactly what we out into it." -EMERSON

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage
HotCookCpl
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby BombShelterBrewer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:50 pm

BeerGeek wrote:Does anyone have recipes without spicy peppers? I'm interested in trying to make pickled eggs, but I'm not to keen on the intense spicyness of jalapenos /habaneros.

Here is something I recently opened and the eggs got good reviews.

Dozen Eggs (Medium Size)
    Tablespoon pickling spice
    A couple of dashes of liquid smoke
    Plain old white vinegar

Place vinegar into a saucepan
Add pickling spices and bring to a boil
Put eggs into wide-mouth quart mason jar
Add 2-3 dashes of liquid smoke. This stuff is strong
Strain boiling vinegar into jar and top off with more vinegar
Seal and place in the basement for a month of two

I have recently gotten a request for Wasabi Pickled Eggs which I am contemplating doing with Rice Wine Vinegar.
BombShelterBrewer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BeerGeek » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Seal and place in the basement for a month of two

I don't have a basement, and I live in Riverside with a crappy A/C system that never gets turned on, but I have a real nice Chest Freezer, with a small space heater inside and a 2 stage Ranco controller, so what temp so should I keep it at?
mmmmmmmmmmmmm... BEER
Batches Brewed: 9
Currently Fermenting : 1st Mead, Belgian Dark Strong Ale
BeerGeek
Pint Glass (25 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Fermented Foods