Pickled Eggs

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby BombShelterBrewer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:20 pm

The closet I keep that I keep the eggs in stays between 65 - 70 in the summer.
BombShelterBrewer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:28 pm

When you go take a dump its gonna be like dropping lit matches out of your a$$. Get some tucks pads :lol:
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BombShelterBrewer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:15 am

usmcruz wrote:When you go take a dump its gonna be like dropping lit matches out of your a$$. Get some tucks pads :lol:

Funny, but true. I once went over board on the peppers and it hurt going in and out!!

On a more serious note, I strongly advise use gloves when handling habenaro peppers. You never make this mistake twice!
BombShelterBrewer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby usmcruz » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 pm

BombShelterBrewer wrote:

On a more serious note, I strongly advise use gloves when handling habenaro peppers. You never make this mistake twice!

I made hot sauce with a local pepper in guam called boonie peppers. They are hotter then any pepper that I ever tasted. Well I had to take a leak after I got done cutting the pepper up. I washed my hands before hand, but I guess it wasnt good enough because It gave a whole new meaning to hot dog. It doesnt even come close to the bengay in the jock strap gag.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"
Ernest Hemmingway
usmcruz
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BeerBiker » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:37 pm

usmcruz wrote:
BombShelterBrewer wrote:

I made hot sauce with a local pepper in guam called boonie peppers. They are hotter then any pepper that I ever tasted. Well I had to take a leak after I got done cutting the pepper up. I washed my hands before hand, but I guess it wasnt good enough because It gave a whole new meaning to hot dog. It doesnt even come close to the bengay in the jock strap gag.

I bet your neighbors looked out the window and saw you screaming as you ran laps around your house holding your crotch and they just shook their heads wondering what it was this time!

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:55 am

Here is a very good pickled egg recipe for german pickled eggs.
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons good prepared mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
6 whole cloves
2 medium red onions
12 hard boiled eggs
1 big jar
Prepare hard boiled eggs, peel, put in jar with sliced raw onions, boil all other ingredients for 10 min, cool, pour over eggs and onions. Put them in the fridge for a week.You can thank me later. :wink:
On Tap- Pumpkin Spice Ale, Kristie's Very Merry Cherry, India Red Ale, Southern English Brown, Joes Ancient Orange Mead
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby dazed » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanx SMITHENHALS another one for me to try...perfect timing because soon eggs will be real cheap here with easter comming. Im looking forward to making some more.
dazed
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:13 am

If you like em spicy I have a really good one for that too..... :wink:
On Tap- Pumpkin Spice Ale, Kristie's Very Merry Cherry, India Red Ale, Southern English Brown, Joes Ancient Orange Mead
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Pickled Eggs

Postby pokerdog » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:32 pm

good,but super stinky!!! :lol:
pokerdog
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby dsiets » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:55 pm

I just had to try my hand at these, and I'm deffinitely going to leave out the pickling spice next time.

Nothing like the first ones I had at a local brewery where a regular made a few diff. versions.
dsiets
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby SMITHENHALS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:51 am

That recipe is very far from regular pickled eggs. There is about 10 different styles of pickled eggs, so what did you have? Salty, sweet, smoky, red beet, mustard? I have a recipe for every type.
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby dsiets » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:04 am

When I say "I had to try", I mean I had to try to make my own and I used input from about 10 diff. recipes.

I'm going to try again but w/o the pickling spice. Except for some mild hot pepper heat in the background,
the ones I had before had no single dominant character that stood out, unlike the ones I made. I think they
would have been great if not for the pickle spice.
dsiets
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re:

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:57 pm

SMITHENHALS wrote:If you like em spicy I have a really good one for that too..... :wink:

Please post your recipe for spicy ones. I made some from the recipe that was 1cup vinegar and 1cup sugar with various spices and I find them to be way to sweet. They're good, but I'd prefer something less sweet and way spicy.
Mark
Mark

Postby SMITHENHALS » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:58 am

Spicy Pickled Eggs

2 dozen hard-boiled eggs (peeled)
4 cups Distilled White Vinegar
1/8 cup vegetable oil (olive oil)
1 jar sliced hot jalapenos with juice (15 oz.)
1 medium red onion (sliced)
3 tablespoons Hot habanero Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Crushed garlic

Bring all of the above ingredients (except eggs) to a boil for 10 minutes in a covered pan. Remove from heat and cool.

Place the hard-boiled eggs in a non-aluminum container and pour the mixture over the eggs, making sure they are covered. Allow eggs to marinate in refrigerator for a minimum of 7 days before serving.
Primary-
Secondary-
On Deck- Hefe, Dry Stout
SMITHENHALS
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby brewmiss96 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

We love pickled eggs at our house, and I've been able to find the one-gallon Kerr jars just for this occasion. Now we just have to wait for the chickens to start cranking out eggs. I've tried several recipes, these are my two favorite, from http://www.recipezaar.com
*******************************************************************************************************************
Dale's Red Pickled Eggs Link to printable recipe

Ingredients
2/3 cup white sugar (we use Splenda)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
12 hardboiled egg, peeled
1 (16 ounce) can sliced beet

Directions
1. In a glass bowl (beet juice sometimes will stain plastic), whisk together sugar, salt, vinegar and 3/4 cup of juice from the tinned beets (you can discard any remaining juice); whisk until sugar is dissolved.
2. In a larger glass bowl, place peeled eggs and beets.
3. Pour dressing over eggs.
4. Refrigerate overnight, covered (the colour will get more intense if left a day or two longer).
5. To serve, cut eggs into halves or quarters.
*****************************************************************************************************************
Pickled Eggs Link to printable recipe

Ingredients
12 extra large egg
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon pickling spices
1 clove garlic, crushed (we use half a head of garlic)
1 bay leaf

Directions
1. Place eggs in a large pot& cover by 2 inches with cold water.
2. Bring water to a full, rolling boil& immediately remove from the heat.
3. Cover& let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from pan, run under cold water& peel.
5. In a medium pot, mix together the vinegar, water,& salt.
6. Combine pickling spice, garlic& bay leaf in cheesecloth, tie and add to pot. (we just put in loose)
7. Bring to a boil over medium heat, lower temperature, cover& simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Remove spice bag.
9. Transfer the eggs to sterile containers, fill with hot vinegar mixture& seal.
10. Allow to cool & then refrigerate for at least 8 days before serving.
Praise not the day until evening has come; a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Grouse Mountain Brewery
brewmiss96
Pint Glass (25 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Fermented Foods