Cheese Making Supplies

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cheese Making Supplies

Postby Triple Freak » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:41 pm

I get a catalog every year from Lehman's, which is an Amish supply place in Ohio, and they have all kinds of cheese making supplies, in case anyone's interested. Cheese presses, milk cans, etc. Here's the link:
http://www.lehmans.com/
Triple Freak

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:19 pm

Thanks TF, that rocks!

I just started making mozzarella. Easy, fun, and tastes better than anything I've ever bought!

Sooner or later, I'll need a press to get into the real cheeses. Probably start with Provalone and move on to the speciaties when I have a good grip on the processes for hard cheeses.
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Jeff Meyers » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:54 am

Man...cheese presses are expensive....
Jeff Meyers
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby alewife » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Yeah, Lehmans and Cheesemaking.com are both pretty high line. Nice stuff. :) But if you are not ready to start your own cheesemaking business and just want to mess around making a few of your own cheeses, this site has better priced beginning level equipment: http://www.leeners.com . Their entry level cheese press is just $24.95! Plastic, but it gets the job done if you're just starting out. :wink:

Alewife
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brewhockey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:34 am

In between the Leener's and the Lehman's presses is one from Jack Schmidling at: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/press.htm . I have the $65 one. It works great and is easy to clean and sanitize. A diagram is included on the website and you could probably build one for a lot less.
Tom

I'd rather be a bad example than a horrible warning.
Brewhockey
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Backglass » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:49 am

I found the Hot Sauce making & Mustard making pages on the Leeners site interesting. I love both!
Barry - NY

"A brewer is YOU!"

--------

On Tap: Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Gnome Rootbeer, Hard Lemonade, Schwartzbier
Conditioning: Rogue I2PA
Fermenting: ---
Starter: ---
Backglass
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Fermented Foods