Anybody making cheese?

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Anybody making cheese?

Postby mjrice » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Is anybody else making some cheese lately? It doesn't look like much activity on the forum. I've just started making cheese and so far it's been pretty rewarding. Today I'm making some feta with whole goat's milk I found at the local upscale grocery store. It was hard to find non-ultra-pasturized goat's milk and uber expensive so I hope the feta turns out good. We buy it regularly for salads, so it would be nice to have homemade.
mjrice
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby cguntzviller » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:02 pm

I believe BeerBiker cut some pungent stinky cheese last night :wink: :wink:
-Crut
They call me Crut
I brew for the schnittz and giggles
**BREW STRONG**
cguntzviller
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Location: Northern MI, Hold up your left hand(palm away), where the tip of your pinky touches your ring finger

Postby MDixon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:08 pm

MarkG has been more active than I, but my wife today begged that I open more cheese out of the cave. I've only made 6 batches of hard cheese, but she loves the stuff!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I made three batches of cheese and a batch of butter milk. The butter milk was great and very easy to make. One packet of culture makes 1qt which is the perfect amount for a large batch of pancake batter. It was very thick and had a nice tangy flavor.

I made my first soft cheese, an english coulommier which can be eaten fresh and has no mold. I was just looking to get a feel for the whole cheese board sandwich and soft cheese routine before diving into a batch of brie or camembert. Once it was done I dusted it with a coating of mint, oregano, salt and pepper. Tasted very close to a log of goat cheese that's rolled in herbs.

I then made a gouda which before placing the curd in the mold I placed 1tsp of Saga Blue Cheese and 1/4cup water in a blender to liquify and then tossed in the curd. Before brining I poked a bunch of wholes in the cheese and the hope is to end up with a Blue Guoda. Time will tell.

Finally, I made a yogurt cheese by simply draining yogurt in cheese cloth for 24hours and then mixing in some salt, pepper, chives and garlic. Very good served on crackers.
Mark
Mark

Postby monkeykoder » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Anybody have any good sources for recipes?
monkeykoder
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:27 am

Get Ricki's book and Tim Smith's book 'Making Artisan Cheese' is pretty good as well.

Check out this forum for cheesemaking;

Cheesemaking Forum

It's not real active but there's a lot of info there and many recipes.
Mark
Mark

Postby monkeykoder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks for the resource I couldn't find anywhere that had a cheese-making forum.
monkeykoder
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Fermented Foods