Sourdough Starter?

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sourdough Starter?

Postby Beer Bar0n » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:53 am

Does anyone use a sourdough starter? I had one going for a while, but keeping the lactic acid bacteria happy while also keeping the wild yeast alive was too much for me. Any tips for when I eventually get it going again?
Beer Bar0n
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Sourdough Starter?

Postby gfoster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:45 am

Use it at least once a week, more if you can. That's the key (I've found) to keeping it active and healthy.

All the feeding regimens and directions in the world don't help for squat if you don't use it frequently.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby Beer Bar0n » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm

I used to use it at least once a week... The advice I have gotten from a book on bread is to let the starter sit at room temperature for a few hours before and after feeding it to let the lactic acid bacteria sour it up.
Beer Bar0n
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby MrsTooth » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Any suggestions on where to find a good one? No local bakery will give any up, and none of my friends bake bread.
I cook, he brews, we drink, we eat, life is good. Now if the brewing assistant would make it past the dictator threes, life would be incredible!
http://vinesbrewsfood.blogspot.com
MrsTooth
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:28 am

MrsTooth wrote:Any suggestions on where to find a good one? No local bakery will give any up, and none of my friends bake bread.

http://www.northwestsourdough.com/newsite/store.html
Triple Freak

Postby MrsTooth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks much! It had slipped my mind that I had even asked. :oops: Off to place my order!
I cook, he brews, we drink, we eat, life is good. Now if the brewing assistant would make it past the dictator threes, life would be incredible!
http://vinesbrewsfood.blogspot.com
MrsTooth
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby killpineapple » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

im starting an Amish Friendship Bread starter this week and it led me to thinking. how could I utilize my yeast starter vial and stir plate to make a crazy yeast starter for bread? im wondering if i could make a slurry that would allow me to take a bit of it and make regular bread every couple of days or make a gnarly sourdough batch every week or so....ideas?
--
H.E.A.D. Brewclub, SoCal
--
Keg: had to sell kegerator, empty
Primary: havent brewed in over a year
On Deck: ANYTHING
Cellar: 2009 Deschutes Abyss, 2010 Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin Oatmeal Stout
--
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-- Ben Franklin
killpineapple
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Beer Bar0n » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:34 pm

killpineapple wrote:im starting an Amish Friendship Bread starter this week and it led me to thinking. how could I utilize my yeast starter vial and stir plate to make a crazy yeast starter for bread? im wondering if i could make a slurry that would allow me to take a bit of it and make regular bread every couple of days or make a gnarly sourdough batch every week or so....ideas?

I don't see why not - but the challenge for me with the sourdough starter was to keep the wild yeast and the lactic acid bacteria happy - the bacteria will multiply much quicker than the yeast will at room temperature, but put it in the fridge for too long and the yeast will dominate and produce enough alcohol to inhibit the bacteria. I think when I start again I will try to let the starter culture warm up when I feed it. But I don't think I will try again until the Riverside summer is over - it's too hot to bake bread! You know what I'm talking about Pineapple!
Beer Bar0n
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Kinsman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Just leave it at a coolish room temp. Use it or dump and feed every few days. It will be real happy.

Maybe not a bad idea to pour some out on a sheet pan and let it dry; then grind it into a powder. I think that's what you get when you buy starters online.
Chris
Long Riders Bar~B~Que
Kinsman
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby killpineapple » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Beer Bar0n wrote: But I don't think I will try again until the Riverside summer is over - it's too hot to bake bread! You know what I'm talking about Pineapple!

yeah im getting ready to make a bunch of bread right now to shove into the freezer. i dont enjoy Riverside summer at all, but I love this town too much to move.
instead of flour/water/yeast starters, what i was thinking of when speaking of using my vial was to do simply a bread/yeast sugar water combo and keep it swirling with a stir plate. wasnt sure about off flavors forming and whatnot. maybe id try it with DME. but not til October
--
H.E.A.D. Brewclub, SoCal
--
Keg: had to sell kegerator, empty
Primary: havent brewed in over a year
On Deck: ANYTHING
Cellar: 2009 Deschutes Abyss, 2010 Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin Oatmeal Stout
--
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-- Ben Franklin
killpineapple
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby alewife » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:32 am

I keep my sourdough starters in the fridge. I either use them during the week, or take out a cup and feed it anew every week which involves several hours at room temps, but not much of my time. Many times, even starters neglected for months can be brought back with a bit of effort, time and patience.
On Deck: Flanders Red

In primary:

Conditioning:

Ready to drink: Harri's Tudor 1504 Ale; Irish Heavy, Dobby's Magic Belgian Dark

Cellared: Hardly Cider (2015 and 2016)
alewife
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Fermented Foods