Aged cheese...

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aged cheese...

Postby Gunny J » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Any of you age cheese? Being simplistic, I mean by buying vacuum or wax sealed cheese and letting it sit in the fridge for a couple of years. I have a few hunks that I've been doing this with and the two year old blue cheese was fantastic. It was very creamy, quite sharp, and absolutely kick @$$. I still have a two year old colby and cheddar waiting for their day...
Alla Salute!

"The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog."
-Senator George Graham Vest

On Tap - Oaked Kolsch, Vanilla Stout
Bottled - Samples for the library
Conditioning - Honey Mead, Columbus IPA
Primary -
Secondary -
On Deck - Spiced Dubbel
Gunny J
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Aged cheese...

Postby thetooth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 am

Never really considered that. What temps do you need to age cheese in. I could see doing that if I could put it in my wine cellar (temp regulated at ~58 degrees).
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Gunny J » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:25 am

I actually just leave it in a drawer at the bottom of the fridge.
Alla Salute!

"The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog."

Primary -
Secondary -
On Deck - Spiced Dubbel
Gunny J
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby 660zcar » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Cheese is only a living thing so long as the whole wheel remains uncut. once you open up the cheese, it stops any and all productive aging.

but if you have a full piece of cheese with an uncut rind you can age it at about 50 deg as a good average. but watch out, especially with soft ripened cheeses, once it starts to smell like cabbage your on the way out, the next step is ammonia and thats not good at all.
660zcar
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Gunny J » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:55 pm

I'll agree about funny smells, but my limited experience shows that cut cheese does age well and make the cheese different/better. I suggest if you can't procure a wheel, get a wedge vacuum packed or wax sealed...it has worked well in my kitchen so far.
Alla Salute!

Primary -
Secondary -
On Deck - Spiced Dubbel
Gunny J
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby killpineapple » Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 pm

also making your own cheese is quite easy. costs a gallon of milk (under $3) to make a pound of cheese. mozzarella and ricotta are easy to make. last weekend i set my first feta to brine and next weekend i will be making a classic hard cheese that I intend to age in two parts: one for one month, and one for 6 months. the rind is easy to obtain and you can even use crayons and wax to make a seal for it as well

this guy's site is great. i made my version of his cheese press for $1 just by using a small teflon pot, a large pinto bean can with lids removed, a tuna can for contact, a sterile dishtowel, and a cut-up bike tube. i fully recommend it. my mozzarella recipe is a bit different and calls for citric acid (which is easily available at Clark's or Sprouts in Riverside) but is slightly easier.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese.html
--
H.E.A.D. Brewclub, SoCal
--
Keg: had to sell kegerator, empty
Primary: havent brewed in over a year
On Deck: ANYTHING
Cellar: 2009 Deschutes Abyss, 2010 Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin Oatmeal Stout
--
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-- Ben Franklin
killpineapple