Kraut?

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kraut?

Postby Stein » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:17 pm

My great aunt, who migrated from Yugoslavia (or where it used to be) used to make homemade kraut. I remember making it with her as a kid and we used to eat it for dinner, like spaghetti.

I don't remember the process, but remember it took for ages (relative term since I was 4). We shred the cabbage, put it into wood barrels that had a lid that could screw down and apply pressure to the cabbage, kind of like a submarine hatch valve. Every day or two, you would go to the cellar and screw it down as far as you could.

Then you waited a long time and canned it.

I would love to make some, but the gear was chucked out when she passed away. Too bad I wasn't there to snag it.

Has anyone ever made homemade kraut? I would love to find the stuff to make it and keep the tradition alive.
Stein
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby leosmith78 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:16 am

I make my own kraut. I use one of those gallon-sized (I think) pickle jars. I slice about a head and a half worth of cabbage (usually using different colored cabbage), then I add about a cup (I don't know where my recipe is, so I'm not sure) of canning salt. I make sure that the salt is mixed into the cabbage well, then I place it in the jar. The salt will pull the water out of the cabbage as its pressed so you don't need to add too much water (maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Then I take a gallon sized ziploc baggie and fill it about half way with water. This gets placed inside the jar on top of the kraut. The bag will weigh down the kraut. After that, I just stick the jar in a place that stays about 72 degrees and keep a brown paper sack over it so that it doesn't get exposed to the sunlight. It takes about a month before it's ready to eat...but a little longer wait is better. I about every three or four days, I check on it. I take the ziploc bag out and wipe around the inside of the jar with a damp paper towel. I also wip down the outside of the ziploc bag. This keeps the bacteria from growing on the inside wall of the jar. There are also many things that one can add to the kraut such as cloves, garlic...etc. Anyway, have fun and good luck.

Leo
leosmith78
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Kinsman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:46 am

I've seen a bunch of recipes but never tried it.
I like the idea of it though; just cabbage and salt, naturally fermented.

All the recipes I've looked at seem to be about the same, too: cabbage, salt, and time. And when you think about it, it's an old food. People have been doing it for a long time.
Chris
Long Riders Bar~B~Que
Kinsman
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Gabe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:20 pm

There is a recipe and process for home made kraut in the last issue of Zymurgy.
Gabe
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:31 pm

I make kraut about the same way as the Zymurgy method. I made a big batch last Saturday. I shredded 18lbs of cabbage, half white and half red, and mixed in 1cup of kosher salt. I have it in a 5gal food grade bucket with a plate with a gallon milk jug of water holding it down so it all stays under the liquid. After 4 weeks I'll can it up and put it away, should last until next fall. It's 100x better than anything you get in a can or plastic bag.
Mark
Mark

Postby Stein » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Man, I need to get a subscription to that mag.
Stein
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Fermented Foods