Cheese, Cheese and More Cheese

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cheese, Cheese and More Cheese

Postby jamilz » Mon May 10, 2004 5:41 pm

I think I could really get into the whole cheese making thing if B3 had all the cheese making stuff.

Anyone make their own cheese?
I hope my post helped you in some way. If not, please private message me and let me know.

A proud member of QUAFF, DOZE, WZZ, and the AHA.
Check out the yeast pitching calculator at:
http://www.mrmalty.com
Check out the archives to my radio show at:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby ynot » Mon May 10, 2004 5:47 pm

I dont know how to make cheese but i did try some hop chesse.

is was really good. so if you grow hops and make cheese throw a few into the mix.
ynot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby jamilz » Mon May 10, 2004 5:58 pm

Can you expand on that? You blend the hop cones into the cheese? I love hops, but the cones are a bit tough and grassy. (I chew just about everything I brew with.) Would that really go well in a cheese?
I hope my post helped you in some way. If not, please private message me and let me know.

A proud member of QUAFF, DOZE, WZZ, and the AHA.
Check out the yeast pitching calculator at:
http://www.mrmalty.com
Check out the archives to my radio show at:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
jamilz
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Tue May 11, 2004 5:49 am

I think I could make cheese, as my Grandmother in Georgia made what's called "Farmer's cheese". It was basically fresh cow's milk cheese, made overnight. It had the consistency of firm cottage cheese, and it tasted terrific.
Triple Freak

Postby ynot » Tue May 11, 2004 5:47 pm

it looks to me that they took the hop cones and they were broken up a bit and put into the cheese.

kinda like parsley.

the cheese was sharp and very tasty with a hop flavor. not over whelming but looked like blue cheese. the hops being the blue.

if you know how to make cheese give it a try but give me some info how to make a sharp cheese ok?
ynot
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby gr8nhbrewer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:30 am

Last year's AHA confrence had section on home made cheese. Don't have the specifics with me but it looks really cool.

Was down in Philadelphia over the weekend had some cheese from http://www.greenvalleydairy.com, good stuff!!!
gr8nhbrewer
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: Cheese, Cheese and More Cheese

Postby Brewhockey » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:50 am

jamilz wrote:I think I could really get into the whole cheese making thing if B3 had all the cheese making stuff.

Anyone make their own cheese?

Yup. Do it alot. Its pretty easy too once you assemble the correct equipment. You'll need some cheese cloth (not the supermarket kind, its too coarse), a large stainless steel pot, a strainer, a dairy thermometer, some rennet and lactobacillus cultures. Don't use brewing equipment for cheese making. You're asking for trouble if you do.

http://www.grapeandgrainary.com carries everything you need. I make cottage and cream cheese that's better than anything you'll ever find in a store. I've started making hard cheeses but the process is a bit more involved and you need a good press. Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it.
Tom

I'd rather be a bad example than a horrible warning.
Brewhockey
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:32 pm

I'm interested in making some cheese at home. The Grain&Granary site has a lot of good info, but are any of you experienced in the process?

What kind of time/space does it take?

Thanks in advance.
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewhockey » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:15 pm

Cooldaddy,

The time depends on the type of cheese. Cottage cheese takes me about 3 hours. A hard cheese takes 5 or 6 hours to cook on the first day, 30 min the second day plus aging time. The space for cheese making equipment is minimal because you can use normal kitchen equipement most of the time. Worst case equipment storage should be about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.
Tom

I'd rather be a bad example than a horrible warning.
Brewhockey
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:30 pm

I'm looking to replicate a couple cheeses that I greatly enjoyed while living "en Suisse."

t?te de moine
http://www.fromagesdesuisse.com/default.htm

mouse over the "fromages" and select it from the list.
--------------------------
Tomme de Savoie
http://www.cheese-france.com/cheese/tomme_savoie.htm

This one's in English.

These are the two best cheeses I have had the pleasure of tasting. Of course, I prefer the milder cheeses. I swear, some items on the cheese plate were actually salt licks in disguise!

The t?te de moine is very popular with the Swiss people, or so it seemed to me. I got the impression it was considered a bit of a delicacy, as they served it at special gatherings (like my sendoff).

:0)

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:33 pm

Oh, "Le Gruy?re" wasn't bad either, easily my daughter's favorite. We have pictures of her, about 9 months old, chomping on handfuls of it.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:55 pm

I'll be visiting http://www.homebeerwinecheese.com/ in two weeks when I head to LA to pick up my cheese "starter" kit. I'll probably invest in a press as the two cheeses I want to recreate are semi-hard/hard.

I'm still convincing my wife, but with the cost of cheese these days (even at Costco) I think it will be very worth it.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby selfors » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:35 pm

Try this site for cheese making http://www.cheesemaking.com/. Sure would be nice to buy my beer and wine suppilies from morebeer.com

--Dave
selfors
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:43 am

I didn't make it to the shop in Woodland Hills, I was a bit busier than I thought I would be.

I'm checking out that other site now though.....

Thanks!

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:45 am

Can anyone give me a heads up on the basic equipment I would need to start making some hard cheeses? The sites give a good idea, but I'm looking for experience (yes, I need that, no I can do without that item).

I know I need something to cook it in, and a press/mold/cloth.

I'm looking at making some tomme de savoie and tete de moine sooner or later.

Thanks!

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Next

Return to Fermented Foods