Salt Cod

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Salt Cod

Postby baker-brewer » Mon May 17, 2004 10:06 am

Just got back from a fishing trip off of the Maine coast with several pounds of the loveliest, freshest line-caught cod, and after gorging ourselves on beer battered fish (mmmm) and homebrew we have quite a bit left over, so I thought I'd try salting it.

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? Basically, I packed the filets in a bunch of kosher salt last night and then drained off the liquid this morning, but I was wondering if there are specific things I need to do beyond this.

Thanks.
I am the sleeping drunken bear.
baker-brewer
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Mon May 17, 2004 10:16 am

I'd set it on a stainless steel rack, and cover it with tons of salt. The rack will let air circulate, and let the juices drip out. Roll it over every day, and keep salting it. It should look like a snowpile when you're done salting it.
Triple Freak

Postby baker-brewer » Mon May 17, 2004 10:23 am

Somehow, I knew it was you :wink:

Yeah, all I haven't done is the rack, which I think I'll do now. Traditional methods involved pine boxes that the air could circulate through, which the rack would approximate. Apparently it was weighted down, too, so Maybe I'll set a plate on top of it. At any rate, I'm glad I started yesterday evening--the fish was in the salt within twelve hours of swimming, and on ice the rest of the time. Should keep nicely.
I am the sleeping drunken bear.
baker-brewer
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Mon May 17, 2004 12:06 pm

A couple of dinner plates should work nicely.
Triple Freak

Return to Fermented Foods