Is making cheese cheaper than buying it in the store?

Cheese, Kim Chee, and other fermented or pickled foods.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Is making cheese cheaper than buying it in the store?

Postby locojoe2000 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm just wondering because My girl friend loves cottage cheese and some other cheeses. And I'm curious about making it. I figure that I would be killing two birds with one stone. Save money and added other hobby to my list.
locojoe2000
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:59 pm

No, not really. Milk is expensive.
Triple Freak

Postby aschylus » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:13 pm

Triple Freak wrote:No, not really. Milk is expensive.

Agreed. Plus the things you need to gear up. I'm just getting into it. I decieded to do it because I love producing things for myself. Plus I love putting together gadgets. I spend more money on my many hobbies, than uncle sam spends on national defence.

Feller's got have a hobby (or 10).
aschylus
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby ChuGalug » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:23 pm

Let me get this straight, a gallon of milk @1.80-2.00 will not make 2.00 worth of cheese?

Or maybe you guys are considering the time invested?
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Albert Einstein
ChuGalug
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby locojoe2000 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:24 pm

ok so for example. How much cottage cheese could you get out 1 gallon of milk. Or any other example you can come up with.
locojoe2000
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:28 pm

First of all, a gallon of milk is damn near $4, not $2. It takes 12 lbs of milk to make 1 lb. of cheese. That's 1.5 gals of milk -$6, let's say. I can buy a lb. of aged cheddar for $4, max.
Triple Freak

Postby aschylus » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:35 pm

ChuGalug wrote:Let me get this straight, a gallon of milk @1.80-2.00 will not make 2.00 worth of cheese?

Or maybe you guys are considering the time invested?

Wow. I need to come to WA to buy milk. I goes for about 3 bucks in my neck of the woods. Not many dairy farmers in TN. But then I would spend all my money at the Red Lion, or Fast Eddies on N. Division. Damn, I miss the fry bread and honey. Plus I miss Wheels at the Red Lion. I digress.

I get about a pound of mozzerella from a gallon of milk. Same with paneer. I've not done any cottage cheese but you may get a bit more with the whey left in it. The thing is, if you could buy bulk milk and produce hundreds of pounds the savings would show.
aschylus
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby ChuGalug » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Triple Freak wrote:First of all, a gallon of milk is damn near $4, not $2. It takes 12 lbs of milk to make 1 lb. of cheese. That's 1.5 gals of milk -$6, let's say. I can buy a lb. of aged cheddar for $4, max.

A gallon of milk cost's 1.88 here and a lb of cheddar is 2.50!

TF I am curious how a man with such ignorance can be so outgoing, I expect the local dairies will take whatever money local idiots are willing to pay, not surprising you also pay 4.00 for cheddar cheese.

So it appears I can make 2.50 worth of cheese for about 2.50, thanks you actually did give a right answer, best to yah...John
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Albert Einstein
ChuGalug
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:32 pm

See dude, that's the problem. The local govt made dairy farmers obsolete. Gotta buy it at market rates now. Some progress huh? :wink:
Last edited by Triple Freak on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Triple Freak

Postby ChuGalug » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:14 pm

aschylus wrote:Wow. I need to come to WA to buy milk. I goes for about 3 bucks in my neck of the woods. Not many dairy farmers in TN. But then I would spend all my money at the Red Lion, or Fast Eddies on N. Division. Damn, I miss the fry bread and honey. Plus I miss Wheels at the Red Lion. I digress.

I get about a pound of mozzerella from a gallon of milk. Same with paneer. I've not done any cottage cheese but you may get a bit more with the whey left in it. The thing is, if you could buy bulk milk and produce hundreds of pounds the savings would show.

In TN you probably save more on gas prices than I save buying cheap milk :wink:
Don't forget the Fort Spokane Brewery, man I about started crying when that place shut down :/

I was not interested enough to ask the question (start a thread)"Is making cheese cheaper than buying it in the store?"

I have wondered about this, and the price has no effect on whether I will make cheese or not, I know almost anything can be made better at home.

Thanks...John
Albert Einstein
ChuGalug
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Fermented Foods