BJ's San Bernardino

Face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook. Got a great brewpub or restaurant you want to tell everyone about? Post it here.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BJ's San Bernardino

Postby BeerBiker » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:30 pm

Anybody drank there lately? We were there last night and had three different styles, Nutty Brunette, Jerimiah Red and Pirahna Pale. I swear all three were infected. My wife got the Nutty Brunette and it was the least offensive. I had the Red and couldn't even drink it. Truthfully, I could barely get past the smell. I sent it back and got a Pirahna. It wasn't as bad, but I couldn't finish it. I've been there lots of times and not noticed such disgusting flavors in their beers. I hope this was an isolated instance and not a continuing trend.

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby PWoods » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:12 pm

That's too bad. Their beers aren't terribly exciting to begin with, and to have them contaminated on top of that is a shame.

Did you tell someone there what you noticed?
Pat

Flame on!
PWoods
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BeerBiker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:17 am

PWoods wrote:That's too bad. Their beers aren't terribly exciting to begin with, and to have them contaminated on top of that is a shame.

Yeah, I tried explaining to the girl that they didn't taste right. I don't think she got it.

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby balloon_knot » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:50 pm

i don't know. never been there. but they seem like the burger king of brewerys.
balloon_knot

Postby BeerBiker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:55 am

We were there again this past weekend. This was my first visit since the infected beer incident. My first beer was the Jerimiah red. It tasted fine, but was flatter than a platter of pi$$. No head, very few bubbles coming to the top at all. I tried explaining it to the wait person and she went back and spoke to the beer person, who said "It tasted fine". Well, no sh!t, sherlock! I said it tasted fine, it's just FLAT. Dumba$$. Anyway, in their defense, they had an Octoberfest on tap that was very yummy.

Anyway, I think I'm done with BJ's. If you are going to call yourself a brewpub, you need to have wait staff that knows what the heck they are talking about and beer servers that can recognize when a keg is flat.

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby MaltnHopsrGood » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:08 am

The BJ's in Corona is alright. Don't try going on a Friday or Saturday night though. That place starts getting packed around 4:30pm and stays that way till about 11pm.

I've never found a problem with Bj's beer, except that it's always the same stuff. You'd think they would try something different every now and then.
Bottled: Nothing
Keg #1: Dark Chocolate Stout
Keg #2: Bourbon Barrel Stout
Keg #3: Nothing
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Pale Ale
Next On Deck: India Pale Ale
Brewed in 2017: 50 gallons
MaltnHopsrGood
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby BeerBiker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:38 am

MaltnHopsrGood wrote:The BJ's in Corona is alright. Don't try going on a Friday or Saturday night though. That place starts getting packed around 4:30pm and stays that way till about 11pm.

I've never found a problem with Bj's beer, except that it's always the same stuff. You'd think they would try something different every now and then.

They do. They had an Octoberfest the other day, I've had a pumpkin and a few other specialty beers. You have to ask because, by and large, the wait staff could give a crap.

When BJ's first opened up in San Bernardino, I thought their beers were pretty decent. Not spectacular, but decent. We even got a waiter once that was pretty knowlegable about beer, which was refreshing. It was, at one time, our favorite place to go. The last two times I've been there, I had problems and it was obvious the wait staff was not very well in tune with the beer. Apparently, even the bar person did not posess the ability to recognize a flat beer. That, to me, was unforgivable. I am done with BJ's, I will drive a little farther to find good food and good beer on tap.

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby wguy00 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:56 am

There's on Oggi's Pizza place in Corona. They don't brew there, but at least you can get some good San Diego beers to take home with you :)

I was at Karl Strauss in San Diego a couple months ago. When I asked the bartender what the hops were in their beer o' the month, he didn't know.

This last weekend I was at the Yard House in Rancho. I asked for the hoppiest beer that they had, which turned out to be an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA. I asked the guy "What's the IBU's for the beer?" He said "Like 5.6. I'll check for you." :shock: I looked at my g/f, who knows damn well what IBU's are, and she shook her head. The dude came back and said "No, sorry, it's 7%" I didn't even bother to correct him. He would never have known what I was talking about.

If you're a place that is known for or prides itself on it's beer, your people need to know what they're talking about. I stand by my statement a couple months ago. If fine restaurants can have a sommelier on staff, then any restaurant that touts their brewing ability or beer selection needs to have a beer-elier on staff dammit! :evil:
-David

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

-Douglas Adams

Zapp: Back when I was captain all I asked from my men was their complete loyalty. If I had that, then for all I cared they could sit around the whole day drinking beer in their underpants.
Bender: Beer?
Fry: Underpants?
wguy00
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:03 am

BeerBiker wrote:
PWoods wrote:That's too bad. Their beers aren't terribly exciting to begin with, and to have them contaminated on top of that is a shame.

Yeah, I tried explaining to the girl that they didn't taste right. I don't think she got it.

Mark

There is a place in Md similar to BJ's called Rocky Run I was there one time and ordered the APA and it was infected. When I told the server she said that she would tell the brewer since he was there at the time. when he came out and I told him theproblem and he acted like I was full of Sh*T and basicly blew me off. needless to say I don't go there anymore.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby BeerBiker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:58 pm

wguy00 wrote:This last weekend I was at the Yard House in Rancho. I asked for the hoppiest beer that they had, which turned out to be an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA. I asked the guy "What's the IBU's for the beer?" He said "Like 5.6. I'll check for you." :shock: I looked at my g/f, who knows damn well what IBU's are, and she shook her head. The dude came back and said "No, sorry, it's 7%" I didn't even bother to correct him. He would never have known what I was talking about.

I was at the Yard House last night. Good food, good beers, I enjoyed it. I'm sure the mistake your waiter made was somewhat honest... Most people would ask about ABV and that was all he heard from you. The waitress we had was nodding approvingly at my beer selections until my last when I jokingly ordered a Bud Light. She almost choked, then I told her I was kidding.

Mark
Me like beer.
BeerBiker
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby 2Row » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 pm

I haven't been in the BJ's in SB in a couple of months but don't recall getting problem beer during any of several previous visits. This is one of many of their locations that does not brew on site. I have noted the general beer knowledge of the staff has gone from bad to worse ever since it opened so no surprise there may be a lack of attention to beer handling, line cleaning, etc. Also have noticed that they only offered their standard brews the past couple of times. It would be nice if they would mix it up a bit more with some Owen's IPA, etc.
Cheers!
2Row
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Great Places